RE: [ISN] Student arrested for allegedly hacking university computers to derail election

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Thu Jun 26 2003 - 01:50:39 PDT

    Forwarded from: Jon Miller <cio.nyat_private>

    I also find it troubling, on additional levels...

    That this student chose to use his skills to exploit a university
    computer system (not well known for security in general) is troubling.
    It wasn't by accident that he did this, and unless he's been living on
    another planet for the past couple of years, he knows that we don't
    and shouldn't have a sense of humor about such things.

    Ethical hacks? By self appointed "deputies of the public trust"?  Let
    the punishment fit the crime, I agree with you completely, but define
    the crime... If you came home to find such a "deputy" sitting in your
    living room who said "I broke in to show you that your door locks &
    alarm system is faulty" would you thank him and send him on his way or
    call the police? After all, he caused no damage (this time).

    Jon Miller, CISSP, GSEC