[ISN] Get smart about intelligence

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 01 2003 - 04:11:12 PDT

    http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2003/0630schwartau.html

    By Winn Schwartau
    Network World
    06/30/03

    Recently a reporter called the Pentagon's public affairs office and
    asked for the location and itinerary of certain aircraft carriers and
    their battle groups. He was told that this information is classified
    and not available to the media.

    The reporter then went to Google, entered the name of the aircraft
    carrier, found its home page and printed out the ship's entire
    schedule for the next year. He also got all sorts of juicy information
    about the captain, his military history and tons of tidbits on the
    senior officers.

    You might think that no company in its right mind openly would publish
    on the Internet key data about its firm, staff, finances or technical
    issues. But almost every major U.S. company does exactly that. This is
    what open source intelligence is all about.

    Traditionally, intelligence has been the domain of the CIA and foreign
    national intelligence services. But today, Robert Steele, former CIA
    case officer and now president of OSS, says his personal unclassified
    contacts and information sources could do as well as, if not better
    than, the combined resources of the intelligence community in a
    comparative intelligence analysis.

    Say I want to know secrets about your company. Maybe I'm a competitor;
    maybe I'm a potential attacker. Either way, I'm going to employ
    generally non-technical intelligence means from my desktop such as
    Google, Securities and Exchange Commission databases such as Edgar,
    and the American Registry for Internet Numbers, which provides a
    convenient search function for registered domain owners. In a matter
    of minutes, I can find an amazing array of information, including:

    * Names, biographies and contact information (both work and home) for
      key executives.

    * Information about the corporation's infrastructure and Internet
      connectivity.

    * Lists of the corporation's service providers and major IT equipment
      suppliers.

    * Testing and policy guides, personnel procedures, disaster-recovery
      services and methods of business continuity.

    * User IDs of all staff on internal mail and groupware systems.

    * Technical problems the company is experiencing (innocently divulged
      in chat rooms by engineers seeking help from peers).

    Does your company want this sort of information available to everyone
    on the Internet? Probably not. But what can you do about it?

    First of all, you have to realize that open source information is
    valuable to the bad guys and potentially harmful to you. The next step
    is to perform an honest, in-depth assessment of your exposure to this
    simple, yet highly effective, means of intelligence gathering.

    Then you must make some tough policy decisions. What information on
    your corporate home page, while nice for marketing and image, has the
    potential to damage your firm if used by the wrong people? Can
    technical staff use their work e-mail addresses when conducting
    Internet research, or should they have aliases? How much Internet
    travel should be done anonymously to hide any trails that could give
    away valuable information to a competitor or adversary?

    I have never been a supporter of security by obscurity. I believe
    cryptographic source code and algorithms should be made fully public
    for peer testing and acceptance. But I also believe in controlling the
    release of information that can be used against me. Hanging clean or
    dirty laundry on the Internet in the name of self-promotion is a sure
    way to divulge too much information - unless clear-cut policy and
    review procedures are in place.

    Companies need to form procedures to control what corporate
    information is released, how it is released and how it relates to all
    other public information releases the company makes. The combined
    results could show the company unintentionally is giving away the keys
    to its own kingdom.

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn'
    in the BODY of the mail.