[ISN] Linux Security Week - July 7th 2003

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 08 2003 - 00:27:46 PDT

    |  LinuxSecurity.com                            Weekly Newsletter     |
    |  July 7th, 2003                                Volume 4, Number 27n |
    |  Editorial Team:  Dave Wreski             daveat_private    |
    |                   Benjamin Thomas         benat_private     |

    Thank you for reading the LinuxSecurity.com weekly security newsletter.
    The purpose of this document is to provide our readers with a quick
    summary of each week's most relevant Linux security headlines.

    This week, perhaps the most interesting articles include "Intergrating
    SpamAssassin with Mailman," "Open Source Firewalls Explained,"
    "Distributed Port Scanning Using OpenBSD's packet filter," and "Secure
    Coding: Principles & Practices."

    LINUX ADVISORY WATCH:
    This week, advisories were released for kopete, kde, unzip, acm, xgalaga,
    mantis, kernel, proftpd, gtksee, proftpd, xpdf, acroread, tcptraceroute,
    phpbb, noweb, gnocatan, mikmod, XFree86, PHP, ethereal, and ypserv. The
    distributors include Conectiva, Debian, Gentoo, Immunix, Mandrake, Red
    Hat, TurboLinux, and YellowDog.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/forums_article-7580.html

    >> FREE Apache SSL Guide from Thawte <<
    Are you worried about your web server security?  Click here to get
    a FREE Thawte Apache SSL Guide and find the answers to all your Apache
    SSL security needs.

     Click here to download our Free guide:
     http://ads.linuxsecurity.com/cgi-bin/ad_redirect.pl?id=thawte25

    FEATURE: Real-Time Alerting with Snort
    Real-time alerting is a feature of an IDS or any other monitoring
    application that notifies a person of an event in an acceptably short
    amount of time. The amount of time that is acceptable is different
    for every person.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/feature_story-144.html

    * Comprehensive SPAM Protection! - Guardian Digital's Secure Mail Suite is
    unparalleled in security, ease of management, and features. Open source
    technology constantly adapts to new threats. Email firewall, simplified
    administration, automatically updated.

     --> http://guardiandigital.com/cgi-bin/ad_redirect.pl?id=mailnews2

    LINSECURITY.COM FEATURE:
    Intrusion Detection Systems: An Introduction
    By: Alberto Gonzalez

    Intrusion Detection is the process and methodology of inspecting data for
    malicious, inaccurate or anomalous activity. At the most basic levels
    there are two forms of Intrusion Detection Systems that you will
    encounter: Host and Network based.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/feature_story-143.html

     #### Concerned about the next threat?  ####
     #### EnGarde is the undisputed winner! ####

     Hardened Linux Puts Hackers EnGarde! Winner of the Network Computing
     Editor's Choice Award, EnGarde "walked away with our Editor's Choice
     award thanks to the depth of its security strategy..." Find out what
     the other Linux vendors are not telling you.

    http://store.guardiandigital.com/html/eng/products/software/esp_overview.shtml

    +---------------------+
    | Host Security News: | <<-----[ Articles This Week ]-------------
    +---------------------+

    * A quick view on sendmail
    July 6th, 2003

    Electronic mail is still the most important user service on the network.
    The Web carries a greater volume of traffic, but e-mail is the service
    used for most person-to-person communication. And person-to-person
    communication is the real foundation of business.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/host_security_article-7583.html

    * Integrating SpamAssassin with Mailman
    July 3rd, 2003

    If you run a moderately popular mailing list, you will have to address the
    spam problem at some point. Many spammers actively target mailing lists,
    because if the spam doesn't get caught it will be forwarded to many
    recipients.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/documentation_article-7574.html

    * Is Linux Security Right For You
    July 3rd, 2003

    Securing an enterprise Linux environment can be a tough assignment for
    Unix or Windows veterans, says author and software engineer Scott Mann.
    Linux security requires more up-front and ongoing self-education and
    do-it-yourself work than other platforms. But it will also offer more
    flexibility.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/security_sources_article-7575.html

    * Securing Linux
    July 3rd, 2003

    Russell is among those who have made a sterling contribution to the NSA's
    SE Linux project. He is listed both among those who have contributed to
    the upstream line of development and to the community.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/forums_article-7579.html

    +------------------------+
    | Network Security News: |
    +------------------------+

    * Looking securely at TCP/IP
    July 6th, 2003

    If you are reading this article, you should have a good understanding of
    how computers work and a working knowledge of how to use Internet tools
    such as web browsers, Telnet, and e-mail. In addition, you're probably
    already aware of the need to protect computers on your network from
    exterior threats, while still allowing your web and e-mail traffic to
    traverse your connection to the Internet.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/network_security_article-7582.html

    * Better 802.11 Security
    July 3rd, 2003

    If you've delayed setting up a wireless network because of security
    concerns, help is at hand. Around the time you read this, improved
    security technology for all variants of 802.11 should be available as free
    firmware downloads from most equipment vendors.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/network_security_article-7578.html

    * Open Source Firewalls Explained
    July 2nd, 2003

    Hackers have computers too and want to keep their own machines free of
    intrusion from the Internet. Paradoxically, these computers may be the
    most secure computers on the Internet, because the hackers use free
    software that they can examine for security problems, they are the first
    to discover (or create) security weaknesses, and they fix their own
    systems as soon as loopholes are discovered.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/firewalls_article-7565.html

    * Distributed Port Scanning Using OpenBSD's packet filter
    July 2nd, 2003

    By using openBSD's packet filter pf one can utilize the NAT address pools
    added into OpenBSD 3.3 to aid in distributed port scanning.  As the text
    explains NAT can be used in a large network to split outgoing connections
    over multiple source IP addresses.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/firewalls_article-7570.html

    * The Use of Honeynets to Detect Exploited Systems Across Large
    Enterprise Networks
    July 1st, 2003

    An extremely interesting paper written by Georgia Tech for an IEEE
    security workshop. The Georgia Tech University has several Honeynets
    deployed on a network of 30,000+ systems. The Honeynets repeatedly
    demonstrated their value detecting compromised systems, systems that other
    detection technologies failed to discover.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/intrusion_detection_article-7563.html

    * Wi-Fi: Security For The Masses
    June 30th, 2003

    There's no doubting the hipness of wireless hot spots. Thanks to Wi-Fi
    technology, tech-savvy people can jack into the Net at Starbucks
    coffeehouses or on Lufthansa Airlines or at upscale hotels across the
    nation. In corporate America, Wi-Fi has the potential to become the de
    facto standard for connecting mobile users to networks, despite serious
    security worries.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/network_security_article-7558.html

    +------------------------+
    | General Security News: |
    +------------------------+

    * Interview with Brian Hatch, author of "Hacking Exposed Linux"
    July 2nd, 2003

    Brian Hatch is a hacker in the positive sense - a coder, tinkerer, and
    tester. I love to prod software into doing things it shouldn't be able to,
    be it for good or ill.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/security_sources_article-7566.html

    * Pentagon Pushes Next Version of IP
    July 2nd, 2003

    The next version of the Internet Protocol, which provides a 128-bit
    standard to transmit data, is getting a jump-start for adoption with its
    endorsement by the Department of Defense. The result: A boost in the
    number of available Internet addresses, to eventually number as many as an
    address for every cell in every person on the planet.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/government_article-7568.html

    * Secure Coding: Principles & Practices
    July 1st, 2003

    The purpose of this paper is to outline the strategies and managing
    processes behind implementing a successful Security Policy. Additionally,
    I will give recommendations for the creation of a Security Awareness
    Program, where the main objective will be to provide staff members with a
    better, if not much improved understanding of the issues stated in a
    security policy."

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/documentation_article-7562.html