Re: [ISN] Samsung bans camera phones in workplace

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 09 2003 - 02:43:32 PDT

    Forwarded from: Russell Coker <russellat_private>

    On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 17:28, InfoSec News wrote:
    > "Some pointed out that this is a violation of individuals' rights to
    > purchase and own camera phones, but the concern about possible leakage
    > of core technologies is so great that we have decided to ban camera
    > phones in the workplace," a Samsung executive said.

    How is that a violation of people's rights?

    Surely it's quite normal and reasonable for a company to have a list
    of activities that are not work related which may not be performed in
    their offices.  Company regulations affect how you may dress, what you
    may do in your lunch break, and many topics of conversation are banned
    as they may cause offense to other workers.

    If someone has a personal (non-company) mobile phone that they want to
    use during office hours then insisting that it be an approved model
    does not seem to be a great burden.

    If I was employed by Samsung I would want to get a special deal on one
    of their mobile phones, but it wouldn't bother me if I was forced to
    use my old non-camera phone while at work.  Changing a SIM between
    phones is easy enough.

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn'
    in the BODY of the mail.