[ISN] Secrets to the best passwords

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 10 2003 - 23:34:41 PDT

    Forwarded from: William Knowles <wkat_private>

    While you would think secure password creation wouldn't be a problem
    in this day and age, imagine my shock and suprise when I recieved this
    mail from a local domain registry & hosting company that I have a
    domain with (not for much longer).

    >       Please be aware that we have tightened up username and
    > password integrity.  We now only allow uppercase and lowercase
    > alphanumeric characters to be used in usernames and passwords.
    > All other characters have been stripped out of your username and
    > password.  Please use the forgot password feature at
    > https://www.********.com/pages/login.asp to retrieve your updated
    > username and password.  We apologize for any inconvenience this has
    > caused you.

    Scary eh?

    William Knowles
    wkat_private

    -=-

    http://www.computerworld.com/securitytopics/security/story/0,10801,82883,00.html

    By Peter H. Gregory
    JULY 09, 2003
    Computerworld

    The use of good, hard-to-guess passwords can make it difficult for a
    malicious hacker to break into your computer account. Avoiding
    predictable keywords and using different methods to introduce variety
    into your passwords makes it easy for you to remember them but
    virtually impossible for others to guess them.
    Here are some tips on creating winning passwords.

    Use keywords related to a theme. Choose a common, significant event: a
    honeymoon, the birth of a child, a new car, a new job.

    Example phrases associated with a birth might be blueeyes, hurry,
    onemorepush, crankyRN, coldbracelet, roomsix and icechips. Ideas
    associated with a new car could be deepblue, 6CDs, 5speed and
    TiresThatGrip.

    The idea here is that you use a variety of words associated with an
    event that other people would not readily guess. Remember that you may
    also need to mix in uppercase letters and numbers when you create a
    new password. For instance, "hurry" could become hUrry66 or Hur5ry.

    Substitute numbers for letters based upon their appearance. With a
    little imagination, you can visualize numbers that bear resemblance to
    letters.

    Number Letter

    1      L
    2      Z
    3      E
    4      A
    5      S
    6      b
    7      Z
    8      B
    9      g
    0      O

    When you create a password, substitute a number where a letter would
    appear, according to the chart above. Some examples:

    * scuba becomes 5cu8a

    * water becomes w4t3r

    * icecream becomes 1c3cr34m

    Substitute numbers for letters based upon their location on the
    keyboard. The uppermost row of letters on the keyboard, QWERTYUIOP,
    has a row of numbers right above it: 1234567890. You can substitute a
    number for a corresponding letter according to this chart.

    Number Letter

    Q      1
    W      2
    E      3
    R      4
    T      5
    Y      6
    U      7
    I      8
    O      9
    P      0

    So when you create a password, carry out the substitution from the
    chart. Some examples:

    * scuba becomes sc7ba

    * purple becomes 07r0l3

    * rocket becomes 49ck35

    Consistently capitalize the nth letter(s) of your password. Some
    systems require that at least one character be uppercase. Many people
    capitalize the first character, but this is too predictable. Instead,
    always capitalize the second, third or fourth letter, or perhaps
    always the last or next-to-last. Some examples: huRry, roCky, puRple,
    roCket.

    For further interest, you can capitalize more than one letter, for
    instance the first and third, or the second and fourth

    Avoid predictable week-to-week or month-to-month changes. One example
    of a predictable pattern to avoid: eyesJan01, eyesFeb02, eyesMar03,
    etc. If someone was lucky enough to discover your password long ago,
    you don't want him to be able to predict what it will be in the
    future.

    Store passwords in Counterpane Labs' Password Safe tool. All passwords
    are encrypted with the robust Blowfish algorithm. A nifty feature of
    Password Safe is that when you double-click on a previously stored
    password entry, it silently copies it to the clipboard so you can
    paste in the password even if others are watching you type.

    Check the quality of your password at SecurityStats.com. This Web site
    performs calculations based on the complexity and "guessability" of
    your password and tells you how good your password is. Remember that
    your password is transmitted over the Internet in the clear, so you
    should try similar passwords instead of your actual passwords to get
    an idea of the characteristics of a good one.

    Adopt ISO17799 password quality guidelines. Ask the IT department to
    implement best practices for password management in accordance with
    ISO17799, a widely recognized information security standard. According
    to the standard, here are some guidelines for passwords:

    * They should be at least six characters long.

    * They should be free of consecutive identical characters.

    * Don't use all numbers or all letters.

    * Avoid reusing or recycling old passwords.

    * Require that passwords be changed at regular intervals.

    * Force users to change temporary passwords at the next logon.

    * Maintain a record of previous user passwords and prevent their
      reuse.

    * Change all vendor default passwords.

    * Eliminate or lock shared user accounts.

    Warning: Don't use any of the password examples that appear in this
    article!

    A note about password length: Some infosec professionals will bristle
    at ISO17799's recommendation for a mere six characters in a password.
    Some have told me that six characters is insufficient, based on the
    time it takes to crack a password. My response is this: Typically,
    hackers don't care about the length of passwords when choosing to
    crack open a computer account.

    Organizations are rife with guest accounts, group accounts, accounts
    with no passwords, a lack of password expirations, passwords that can
    be easily guessed and opportunities to exploit technical weaknesses or
    perform social engineering. With all of these easy opportunities,
    computer accounts with good six-character passwords are only a trifle
    weaker than those with eight-character passwords. My point is that
    infosec professionals need to focus more on the compliance of good
    user account hygiene than on the length of passwords - it will bear
    much better results.

    "Communications without intelligence is noise;  Intelligence
    without communications is irrelevant." Gen Alfred. M. Gray, USMC
    C4I.org - Computer Security, & Intelligence - http://www.c4i.org