Re: [ISN] Calculating security ROI is tricky business

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 23 2003 - 00:03:31 PDT

    Forwarded from: Mark Bernard <mbernardat_private>

    Dear Associates,

    In my opinion it gets down to mapping IT/IS annual goals and
    objectives to business goals and objectives. But if you ask a techie
    how fixing the firewall or a server will help the company improve
    profits you may be surprised at the answer you'll get. However its not
    really fair to blame the current problem on techies after all the are
    highly trained professionals and most of them do very good work.

    If you look closer however you see that the problem is with middle and
    senior IS/IT management. Most of these fellows have come up through
    the ranks and as all good organizations do, they promote from within.
    The problem is that these guys without the proper mentoring from the
    Executive group or Finance group don't have two clues about how to map
    IT/IS goals and objectives to organizational goals and objectives. As
    close as they get to managing the over all business is to take last
    years approved budget add a fudge factor and then create a new budget.
    This is a great process because it allows you to quickly get back to
    the things that you like to do and are comfortable with, instead of
    justifying why it is that you do these things.

    Ponder this if you will, if technology is the solution for business
    needs then what is the solution to technology needs?

    Regards,
    Mark E. S. Bernard, CISM.