[ISN] RFID: A moral dilemma

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 24 2003 - 00:54:20 PDT

    Forwarded from: Ejovi Nuwere <ejoviat_private>

    http://www.ejovi.net/mt-archives/000090.html

    July 23, 2003

    Supermarket chains and departments stores are considering the use of a
    new technology. A device that would some day replace bar codes.

    The chip comes in sizes as small as an ant's head and emits radio
    signals that can carry information such as serial number that could be
    correlated with price, manufactured location, or expiration date. The
    possibilities for use are limitless, unfortunately so are its abuses.

    Some consumers, myself included, yes I'm a consumer, are concerned
    about having invisible microchips with information embedded into items
    that we use everyday transmitting data to an unknown entity.

    Before these chips go mainstream consumers and business owners will
    need to join heads to set a few ground rules.

    Now don't get me wrong now, I'm not running for the hills. Far from
    it, its just the idea of my shirt keeping track of where I go shopping
    makes me a little…paranoid?

    The technology often referred to as Radio Frequency Identification
    (RFID) or Auto Identification (Auto ID) will—baring any other major
    technological development—enter widespread use soon.

    Many companies have already begun deploying the technology to help
    streamline the manufacturing and shipping process.

    The Michelin tire company has started a trail run, embedding RFID
    devices in tires allowing the company to easily track and recall them
    if need be.

    The thought of your tires following you aside, the devices have plenty
    of benefits.

    Using RFID could cut down on theft, which is said to account for
    nearly $50 billion dollars in lost revenue a year. It could streamline
    the checkout process making it transparent to the consumer. See
    something you like? Grab it with your RFID credit chip in your back
    pocket and take it home.

    The European Central Bank is seriously considering placing RFID chips
    into bank notes by 2005 in hopes of stifling the money laundering and
    counterfeit trade. Using the chips would allow them to verify
    authenticity and track its location in the case of theft.

    Though many may not know it, the technology is already apart of
    millions of lives in America. Exxon Mobil, McDonalds, and Stop&Shop
    have deployed the same technology in a campaign called SpeedPass.
    SpeedPass allows users to pay for items using a small RFID device kept
    on a key chain.

    RFID is quickly gaining popularity because of its ease of use and
    transparency and that's what frightens me. We may never know when,
    where and exactly who are using the devices.

    If tracking occurs outside the companies place of business it may run
    afoul of consumer privacy regulations but it's still unclear what
    protection buyers are given while in stores or visiting branch
    locations.

    Consumers and corporations can easily come to a middle ground where
    everyone benefits from the cost savings and streamlined processes.

    Corporations using this technology should be and honest straight
    forward. Signs should be posted at entrances and checkouts counters
    where the devices are being used and tagged merchandise should be
    clearly labeled as so.

    SpeedPass is a perfect example of consumers and corporations coming to
    terms on proper use of these devices and while I couldn't find any
    wide scale abuse of RFID that isn't to say there is none. There is
    currently no legal reason for companies to notify consumers, only
    moral.

    And here we have our dilemma.

    For more information about RFID check out these sites
    http://news.com.com/2100-1019-1023934.html Wal-Mart and RFID
    http://www.nocards.org/ CASPIAN fight against RFID
    http://asia.cnet.com/newstech/systems/0,39001153,39129324,00.htm
    RFID in Japan

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn'
    in the BODY of the mail.