[ISN] Malaysia permits text message divorce

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 28 2003 - 03:36:00 PDT

    Forwarded from: Stany Vardomskiy <stanyat_private>

    Comment: There are plenty of web based SMS gateways that ask one for
    the originating and the receiving phone number (Check your local GSM
    provider's web page), or e-mail to SMS gateways (and we all know how
    to spoof e-mail From: header, right?).  Sadly, as the SMS message is
    unauthenticated (and likely more complex things then a web based
    gateway can be done by a disgruntled technican of a wireless service
    provider) it can cause confusion at the very least.

    ---------------------------

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3100143.stm

    Getting a quickie divorce has taken on a whole new meaning in Malaysia
    after it was decided that a man can divorce his wife with a text
    message.

    The government's adviser on religious affairs, the man who counsels
    Malaysia's Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad, said as long as the
    message was clear and unambiguous it was valid under Islamic Sharia
    law.

    "SMS is just another form of writing," Dr Abdul Hamid Othman was
    quoted by the New Straits Times daily newspaper as saying.

    The decision follows a Malaysian court's ruling on Thursday in favour
    of a man who served divorce on his wife via a text message.

    Sharia judge Mohamad Fauzi Ismail declared that the divorce
    declaration was valid and that as such the marriage between the
    plaintiff Azida Fazlina Abdul Latif and defendant Shamsudin Latif was
    annulled, the Utusan Malaysia newspaper reported.

    Mr Shamsudin was said to have sent Ms Azida a text message saying: "If
    you do not leave your parents' house, you'll be divorced".

    Although such a notification of divorce may seem astonishingly brief
    to some, under Islamic law men are allowed to divorce their wives
    simply be saying the word 'talaq' - I divorce you - three times.

    Signed:
    //Stany
    --
    +-------+ Stanislav N Vardomskiy - Procurator Odiosus Ex Infernis[TM] +-------+
    | "Backups we have; it's restores that we find tricky." Richard Letts at ASR  |

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn'
    in the BODY of the mail.