[ISN] EEYE:ALERT Free RPC/DCOM vulnerability scanning tool

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 28 2003 - 03:35:17 PDT

    Forwarded from: "Marc Maiffret" <marcat_private>

    Due to the recent release of multiple exploits for the very serious
    Microsoft RPC/DCOM vulnerability
    (http://www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/ms03-026.asp)
    we have decided to release a free scanning tool that will allow
    administrators to check to see if DCOM is enabled on remote machines,
    and also if the remote system is vulnerable (patched or not). The
    original vulnerability was discovered by the very talented researchers
    at LSD. You definitely should read their advisory at:
    http://www.lsd-pl.net/ if you have not already.

    This scanning tool does NOT require administrator access. There are
    various commercial, and open source, scanners which check for this
    vulnerability. However, those tools either require administrator
    access (which will be non-existent at any large company with a large
    number of IP's) or the tools will be intrusive in their testing and
    therefore bring down servers. Our check does not require administrator
    access, nor is our check intrusive in bringing down servers.

    If you find any bugs in the tool please contact eEye Digital Security
    via the email support option within the tool. Do not respond to this
    eMail list as it is not the proper forum.

    You can get the tool at: http://www.eeye.com

    P.S. Users of Retina (Network Security Scanner) have already had this
    check within the latest Retina updates.

    Signed,
    Marc Maiffret
    Co-Founder/Chief Hacking Officer
    eEye Digital Security
    T.949.349.9062
    F.949.349.9538
    http://eEye.com/Retina - Network Security Scanner
    http://eEye.com/Iris - Network Traffic Analyzer
    http://eEye.com/SecureIIS - Stop known and unknown IIS vulnerabilities

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn'
    in the BODY of the mail.