[ISN] US AIDS researcher mugged on way to talk

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 06 2003 - 00:27:43 PDT

    Forwarded from: William Knowles <wkat_private>

    http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?click_id=125&art_id=qw1060058521570A325&set_id=1

    By Liz Clarke
    August 05, 2003

    A world-renowned Aids researcher, attending the national HIV and Aids
    conference in Durban this week, was mugged by seven knife-wielding
    youths, who stole his bag containing years of intensive research data
    and all his personal belongings.

    Professor Jim Mullins, visiting professor of microbiology at the
    University of Washington school of medicine and a plenary speaker at
    the conference, was leaving the back entrance of the Edward Hotel on
    Durban's beachfront and heading for the International Conference
    Centre to register for the four-day event, when he was surrounded by
    the youths, flashing knives in his face. They snatched his bag and ran
    off into the back streets leading to West Street.

    "I realise that in many ways it was probably my fault and that I
    should have been more security conscious," he said. "But all I was
    thinking about was the talk I was to give and really looking forward
    to the occasion."

    Among the items he lost in the daylight scuffle, during which he was
    forced to hand over his belongings, was a Mackintosh powerbook laptop
    computer, containing the transcript of his address to the Aids
    conference, and valuable cutting-edge research data on discs collected
    over the past few years, some of which is impossible to replace. His
    passport, personal documents, money and cell phone were also in the
    black, double compartment computer bag.

    "Some of it I have on back up, but more recent research had still to
    be copied," said a distraught Mullins.

    Much of the stolen information relates to important findings on the
    evolution and progress of the Aids virus genome, which has important
    data pertaining to the development of vaccines for the African
    continent.

    "It's a sad irony, in a way, that the people I am so desperately
    trying to help - youngsters like these who could be no more than 12 or
    13 and are possibly Aids orphans - are the ones who have robbed me."

    Mullins, who had to postpone his plenary address because of the
    robbery, has offered a R10000 ($1352.00) reward for the return of his
    computer and discs.

    "No questions will be asked. All I pray for is the return of my work."

    On Tuesday night Mullins heads for Stanford University in California,
    where he is to give a series of lectures on the Aids virus - but
    without his precious research material. "It's a big blow but I am
    hoping for a happy ending," he said.

    Anyone who can help Professor Mullins retrieve his computer and discs
    can telephone 083 652 0922 or 0860 010 111

    "Communications without intelligence is noise;  Intelligence
    without communications is irrelevant." Gen Alfred. M. Gray, USMC
    C4I.org - Computer Security, & Intelligence - http://www.c4i.org
    Help C4I.org with a donation: http://www.c4i.org/contribute.html