[ISN] How an e-mail virus could cripple a nation

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 11 2003 - 00:23:17 PDT

    Forwarded from: William Knowles <wkat_private>

    http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2914453,00.html

    Robert Vamosi,
    Senior Associate Editor,
    CNET/ZDNet Reviews
    August 11, 2003

    With a publicly available search engine, a few well-chosen e-mail
    addresses, and off-the-shelf viral code, anyone can commit an act of
    cyberterrorism--or so says Roelof Temmingh, technical director of
    SensePost, a South African computer security company.

    Speaking at the recent Black Hat Briefings and Defcon 11 conferences,
    Temmingh explained that the current methods of assailing computer
    networks--denial-of-service attacks (DoS) or remote
    break-ins--inconvenience too few people to really impact a nation's
    information infrastructure. The sort of exploit that could really hurt
    a country, Temmingh suggests, would more likely be based on e-mail
    viruses, a concept he outlined in a recent paper [1].

    HOPEFULLY, learning about how the unthinkable could happen should help
    us prepare for and minimize the damage of such an event, should it
    ever occur.

    Temmingh and his associates got a chance to investigate his theory
    while working with a South African bank. They decided to see how easy
    it would be to infect a bank's computer systems (which presumably are
    pretty secure) with an e-mail-borne virus.

    Since e-mail attachments are relatively easy for IT departments to
    detect, they started by imbedding in an e-mail message a link to a Web
    site that could have contained malicious code (but didn't, because the
    team didn't want to actually infect the bank's computers). Of the
    thirteen IT people working at the bank, eight downloaded the
    executable file linked to in the e-mail, and five actually executed
    the code on their desktop systems. This means, had the virus been
    real, the bank's entire network could have been infected.

    FROM THIS experiment Temmingh extrapolated that a cyberterrorist could
    effectively deliver malicious code to any organization, anywhere in
    the world. If that individual sent the infected e-mail simultaneously
    to individuals in government agencies and the military, it could have
    devastating effects on a country's ability to communicate, carry out
    business, and defend itself.

    The key to this attack is finding real e-mail addresses to target. For
    this, Temmingh wrote a few scripts that use Google to search for
    public references to e-mail addresses on the Web. The scripts allow
    him to search for e-mails from a given country, and hunt in particular
    for individuals working for telecommunication and financial companies,
    energy providers, governmental departments, the military, the media,
    prominent local businesses, and hospitals.

    There are plenty of addresses available, especially on bulletin boards
    and in discussion forums. If a malicious user could infect just one
    government system (even if it's the desktop machine of a low-ranking
    official), he could, in theory, infect larger government computer
    systems as well.

    WITHIN MINUTES of running the scripts at the Black Hat conference,
    hundreds of e-mails belonging to U.S. military and government
    employees showed up on Temmingh's presentation screen. Judging from
    the collective gasp from the audience (comprised mainly of U.S.
    government, military, and private computer security experts), Timmingh
    made his point.

    Some may not agree with me, but I don't think talking and writing
    about this sort of attack is a blueprint for disaster. Rather,
    becoming informed about how cyberterrorists could hurt us helps our
    security community learn how to protect against these threats.

    The U.S. government has long worried that a cyberattack could cripple
    our nation's infrastructure. Before Sept. 11, it was one of the White
    House's key security concerns. But we were betting cyberterrorists
    would have to be very clever to pull something like this off. It turns
    out that's not true. Now that we're aware of how easy it could be to
    carry out such an attack, we must turn our attention to making sure
    we're prepared for it.

    [1] http://www.blackhat.com/presentations/bh-usa-03/bh-us-03-sensepost/bh-us-03-sensepost-paper.pdf

    "Communications without intelligence is noise;  Intelligence
    without communications is irrelevant." Gen Alfred. M. Gray, USMC
    C4I.org - Computer Security, & Intelligence - http://www.c4i.org
    Help C4I.org with a donation: http://www.c4i.org/contribute.html