Re: [ISN] ITL Bulletin for August 2003

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 15 2003 - 00:57:26 PDT

    Forwarded from: Mark Bernard <mbernardat_private>

    Dear Associates,

    Is this annoying or what! They are close to actual providing something
    valuable here but they haven't hit the target and here is why:

    Firstly, In order to maximize the effectiveness of this white paper on
    InfoSec Metrics you need to identify the target audience. If you
    handed this to a Senior Manager they might have a chance, but if you
    handed it to a CISSP they would be lost!

    Secondly, They talk about matrices ( a lot) but don't really back it
    up with any solid, proven examples. Thus, this is really a wordy
    explanation at a level where nobody can touch anything valuable.

    Thirdly, Maybe I misunderstood this point, but if you gave a so called
    'stakeholder' 5 - 10 matrices they would be lost or have way too much
    information to evaluate especially if you were in HR or Finance. Who
    are we trying to impress here?

    Fourthly, how can intelligence or professional skills continue to
    evolve if we continue to reinvent the wheel?  Self assessments and
    controls/safeguards including a methodology to administer these
    practices has already been developed by an association that has been
    doing this for 30 plus years, what's up with these guys...

    There is absolutely nothing here that hasn't already been done in
    COBiT; http://www.isaca.org/cobithorizon.htm In addition, COBiT
    continues to advance these best practices with other practices such as
    maturity models, etc...

    Lets do it right and move on with this process instead of spinning our
    intellectual wheels!

    Regards,
    Mark E. S. Bernard, CISM.