[ISN] 'Hackers who broke Windows' coming to Malaysia

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 20 2003 - 02:22:31 PDT

    http://star-techcentral.com/tech/story.asp?file=/2003/8/20/technology/6086284&sec=technology

    By JULIAN MATTHEWS
    August 20, 2003

    PETALING JAYA: Polish celebrity hackers The Last Stage of Delirium
    (LSD) Research Group will be coming to Malaysia to attend the
    country's first major hackers' conference in December.

    "The event seems to be very promising. We are glad to accept the
    invitation," confirmed the group's spokesman Tomasz Ostwald in an
    e-mail response.

    The three-day conference is being hosted by Hack In The Box (M) Sdn
    Bhd, the company that runs a popular security site of the same name at
    www.hackinthebox.org.

    "This is a coup for the local network security community," said
    conference organiser Dhillon Andrew Kannabhiran. "We are very proud
    that LSD Research has consented to our invitation. It will raise
    awareness of the level of technical expertise available in Malaysia on
    global security issues."

    LSD Research (http://lsd-pl.net) has been labelled the "hackers who
    broke Windows." The four-man group who prefer to be called "security
    engineers" have uncovered and documented vulnerabilities in nearly
    every version of Microsoft's Windows operating system.

    The "Blaster" worm, which infected hundred of thousands of computers
    worldwide and sent network administrators scrambling to download the
    patch recently, exploited a critical flaw first discovered by the
    group in June this year.

    Even Microsoft, not known to be appreciative of the hacking community,
    has thanked and acknowledged the group for its efforts.

    The discovery of the "DCOM RPC" flaw was a source of embarrassment to
    the Redmond, Washington-based software giant as it affected its most
    popular offerings including the Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows
    XP and its much touted "most secure ever" server, Windows Server 2003.

    All four founder members of LSD Research -- Michal Chmielewski,
    Sergiusz Fonrobert, Adam Gowdiak and Ostwald -- are expected to attend
    the Hack In The Box conference set for Dec 12-14 at the Mid Valley
    Exhibition Centre and Cititel Hotel in Kuala Lumpur.

    Ostwald said it will be the group's first trip to Malaysia. "We have
    heard it is a very nice place and will be glad to visit and hope to
    stay for a week after the conference and take in the sights."

    He added that the group was aware of the strong interest in security
    issues among Malaysians and hoped to take some "interesting meetings"
    during the conference.

    "We have also heard a little about Malaysia's Multimedia Super
    Corridor and of course we would like to see the place," said Ostwald.

    LSD Research was first formed in 1996 by the four Master's in Computer
    Science graduates from Poznan University of Technology in western
    Poland.

    In 2001, the group gained notoriety for winning £35,000 (RM217,000) in
    a hacking challenge run by Argus System Group Inc on its flagship
    security product PitBull.

    LSD Research had cleverly exploited a kernel level vulnerability in
    the base Solaris x86 operating system that was running on the system
    that Argus had deployed for the challenge.

    Kannabhiran of Hack In The Box said the three-day conference will
    include an expo, a live "capture the flag" hacking competition, and
    presentations from various other security experts.

    Apart from sharing of network security information, the conference
    promises "a look at several new attack methods that have not been seen
    or discussed in public before."

    The conference will be limited to 700 participants and about 1,000
    visitors are expected daily for the expo.

    More details available at http://conference.hackinthebox.org, or
    e-mail dhillonat_private

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn'
    in the BODY of the mail.