Re: [ISN] Patching Becoming a Major Resource Drain for Companies

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 20 2003 - 02:21:42 PDT

    Forwarded from: Mark Bernard <mbernardat_private>

    Dear Associates,

    MS has not done a good job at managing this very important process.
    They are continuing to muddle around and not tackle this effectively.

    Since they have mostly borrowed all the technology that they currently
    have from someone else, why don't they go back to Big Blue were they
    started and get this right from the pros.

    I have work with Big Blues and Application Systems 400 servers for 14
    years now. BTW: they have never been infected by a viruse since their
    introduction to the public in 1989. BTW: there are now around 900,000
    400 servers in the world today. On the 400 there is a regular program
    that follows a monthly routine with built in software that can be used
    to distribute Preventative Software Fixes (PTFs) to either clustered
    400s or networked 400s. You get an overview of the fix it tells you in
    English what it will do and or change on your system before you load
    it. You can then load it in temporary state on a mirrored logical
    partition and run it to see what's going on before applying it
    permanently. You also have the option of removing it.

    Why can't Microsoft get this right with all the money that they now
    have of ours?

    Regards,
    Mark.