[ISN] Duplicate/Triplicate Messages

From: William Knowles (wkat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 21 2003 - 00:55:57 PDT

    In case you didn't notice in between your usual amount mail offering
    to either make your Johnson or b00bs larger, generic v1arga, and Re:
    My Details, we had a mail loop, not once, not twice, but three times
    from two separate parties.

    Particularly ironic in my book was that one party was from the
    navy.mil (and from a NMCI gateway) was sending out the FCW article on
    the "good Samaritan" virus clogging up the NMCI network.

    http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2003/0818/web-nmci-08-19-03.asp

    Diehard, longtime InfoSec News subscribers will thankfully have
    recognized that the ONE common denominator to mail loops on the list,
    and it falls down to Microsoft SMTPSVC.

    So even though articles have been seen and transmitted to InfoSec
    News, (many times days before) it gets re-transmitted because the
    stupid Micro$oft servers will apparently resend to any address found
    on the To: line.

    Who needs the Osama bin Virus to turn off the SCADA networks, I can
    only imagine what would happen if you let this clog up a few internal
    Homeland Defense mailing lists with 10+MB copies of PowerPoint slides
    over and over. This is truly an annoying "feature" with Microsoft mail
    servers and I wish someone would address this in the very near future.

    Blocks are in place, (Two for the Navy) and both users have been
    expeditiously booted from the list.

    This is the only ISN message for today, I have been deleting pretty
    much all the mail coming to isnat_private, which has tallied in the
    4000+ message range, not to mention mail from dozens of other defense
    contractors that haven't patched their systems for the viruses making
    the rounds, otherwise why else would I be getting mail titled
    "Re: Your application." when I never sent my resume to them. :)

    Thanks for your time and patience!

    William Knowles
    wkat_private

    "Communications without intelligence is noise;  Intelligence
    without communications is irrelevant." Gen Alfred. M. Gray, USMC
    C4I.org - Computer Security, & Intelligence - http://www.c4i.org
    Help C4I.org with a donation: http://www.c4i.org/contribute.html