RE: [ISN] Industry group wants DHS agency to review deal with Microsoft (2 Messages)

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Tue Sep 02 2003 - 06:15:04 PDT

    Forwarded from: Brooks Isoldi <bjisoldiat_private>

    > Anyone subscribing to mailing lists like Bugtraq or the Secunia
    > Security Advisories knows that there are hundreds of new
    > vulnerabilities discovered every week in pretty much every
    > application and operating system around.

            I beg to differ.  I think if you check how many remote-code
    execution exploits there have been for OpenBSD, you will be hard
    pressed to find more than a small handfull (one??).  I also think that
    just because ALL software has had *SOME* bugs, doesn't mean we should
    be content with just any of them.

            So under your reasoning, a home security system which has
    systematically failed to protect the occupants of the home,
    systematically failed to alert the proper authorities in time and
    whose company has systematically failed to fix the problems, just
    letting their clients get robbed, raped and murdered for years because
    they don't *NEED* to fix the problems in order to keep making money;
    should continue to be used, even by customers who are in DESPERATE
    need of top-notch security, all because the companies security history
    is irrelevant because they are the biggest company and therefore the
    most targetted?  Come on...

    When you buy a car...don't you take a look at the history of that line
    of cars?  Have they been subject to faulty wiring, does it have a
    history of blowing up, etc.  I will assume you are rational enough to
    not be razzled and dazzled by the glitz and glamour that car companies
    use to lure us in like sheep.

    Brooks