[ISN] Blaster suspect 'surprised' at arrest

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Wed Sep 03 2003 - 22:35:41 PDT

    http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2003/0903blastsuspect.html

    By Martyn Williams
    IDG News Service
    09/03/03

    A Minnesota teenager who was arrested last week and charged with
    releasing the W32.Blaster-B Internet worm has spoken of his surprise
    at being arrested and also said the media has mischaracterized him as
    a loner and reckless.

    Jeffrey Lee Parson, 18, made the statements during his first media
    interview since his arrest last Friday. The interview was given
    off-camera to a producer from U.S. television network NBC's "Today"
    show and a transcript of the interview was posted on the Web site of
    MSNBC.

    Parson revealed he had been questioned by authorities at least four
    times over a period of at least a week and said he had been
    cooperating with the investigation before being charged.

    "When I was first approached by authorities, I never thought I was a
    suspect in a crime," he said, according to the transcript. Of being
    charged, he said: "I was very surprised. To me it came completely out
    of the blue that I was going to be arrested and charged with this
    offense."

    Parson's lack of understanding of the direction the investigation was
    taking before he was charged appears to have continued, at least to
    the moment of the interview. He twice said he does not currently have
    a lawyer and he also admitted to not fully understanding the charges
    against him, having a copy of the complaint or having the complaint
    properly explained to him, according to the transcript.

    The W32.Blaster-B worm is a variant of the W32.Blaster-A worm which
    infected millions of PCs last month. Blaster-B was released three days
    after the original worm, according to antivirus company Sophos PLC,
    and infected far fewer machines than the original, .

    Parson declined to explain what part, if any, he played in the writing
    or release of the worm, citing his need to consult a lawyer before
    going into details. He did say that he believes the government is
    trying to make an example of him and that he is "not the one they need
    to get," according to the transcript.

    He also said some characterizations of him in the media have been
    false. He said he is not a loner, not a misfit, not embarrassed about
    his weight, doesn't smoke, drink or do drugs and is not reckless. In
    getting a picture of him, he said the media have talked to the wrong
    people - people who are not as close to him as they claimed to be.

    Parson was arrested by federal law enforcement the morning of Aug. 29
    and appeared in court in St. Paul, Minnesota in the afternoon of the
    same day. At the hearing Parson was released on a $25,000 personal
    recognizance bond and instructed to appear before a magistrate in
    Seattle on Sept. 17.

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn'
    in the BODY of the mail.