[ISN] Security Dampens Microsoft Deals

From: InfoSec News (isn@private)
Date: Fri Oct 24 2003 - 00:35:03 PDT

    By Peter Galli
    October 23, 2003

    Microsoft Corp. officials on Thursday admitted that security concerns
    had diverted the focus of its customers, sales staff, channel and
    partners away from closing deals, resulting in lost or delayed sales.

    In an analyst and press teleconference to discuss the Redmond software
    maker's first quarter financial results on Thursday, Microsoft's chief
    financial officer John Connors outlined the largest risks to
    Microsoft's business going forward.

    "Our efforts to help our customers address the security challenges
    they face will absolutely continue. This is the number one priority at
    Microsoft.

    "[CEO] Steve Ballmer recently outlined some of the new security
    initiatives we are taking, and our sales force and support
    organizations are focused on taking care of our customers. That could
    require in additional time being required to close deals or additional
    investments in education, business process and technology," he said.

    In addition, Microsoft did not count on any improvement in the economy
    for its second quarter forecast, though it did expect some modest
    increase in corporate spending in the second half of the year. So, if
    things were to deteriorate, its future financial results would be
    affected, Connors cautioned.

    As regards Linux and other non-commercial software products, Connors
    would only say that these continued to be a threat to all commercial
    software companies.

    Any strengthening of the dollar would also reduce the benefits from
    foreign exchange rates going forward, he said, adding that
    "litigation, generally, remains a risk. Finally, continuing to be
    successful requires great execution on all fronts.

    "In closing I want to reiterate that we had a very solid quarter from
    a financial results perspective. We have great momentum in our
    consumer business and our forecast going forward reflects that
    optimism. We have a host of new products being launched this quarter
    that deliver real value to customers. The product roadmap over the
    next few years looks really promising as well," he said.

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org