Re: [ISN] Cyber terrorism not real: Gartner

From: InfoSec News (isn@private)
Date: Wed Nov 12 2003 - 04:18:43 PST

    Forwarded from: Fredrich P. Maney <maney@private>

    InfoSec News wrote:

    > http://www.zdnet.com.au/newstech/security/story/0,2000048600,20280859,00.htm
    >
    > By Patrick Gray
    > ZDNet Australia
    >
    > Gartner's information security and risk research director has
    > dismissed cyber-terrorism as a "theory".
    >
    > The comments came during a media round-table session at the Gartner
    > Symposium and IT Expo, which began today in Sydney. The director, Rich
    > Mogull, told journalists that despite the incidence of high profile
    > digital attacks, cyber terrorism is a phenomenon that has never
    > occurred.
    >
    > "The goal of terrorism is to change society through the use of force
    > or violence, resulting in fear," he explained. "I want to put this
    > cyber terrorism thing to rest. It's a theory, it's not a fact."

    That's just bunk.

    The goal of terrorism is to bring attention to their cause, thereby
    causing some people to change their own personal beliefs and
    convictions to those of the terrorists and to eventually bring about
    societal change because of that shift in mores. The only reason that
    force, violence and fear are the main (or at least the most often
    observed) tools of terrorists is they are cheaper, quicker and more
    effective than the peaceful, non-violence of Civil Disobedience and
    the Legal System.

    fpsm
    --
    Fredrich Patterson Sebastian Maney
    w: http://www.maney.org/fred/

        "The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will
        he ever receive either." - Benjamin Franklin

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org