[ISN] Teenager hacked into Cambridge Uni, court told

From: InfoSec News (isn@private)
Date: Tue Nov 18 2003 - 04:11:21 PST

    http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/11/18/1069027081013.html

    Brisbane
    November 18, 2003

    A teenager has faced court in Brisbane on charges of hacking into the
    computer systems of the world-renowned Cambridge University and
    Melbourne-based internet service provider, Pacific Internet.

    The arrest last month of information technology worker Adam Zachary
    Gilmore, 17, who lives in the west Brisbane suburb of Kenmore, was the
    first of its kind under Queensland's Criminal Code Act of 1995.

    Gilmore was not required to enter a plea in the Brisbane Magistrates
    Court yesterday on the two counts of unauthorised access to computer
    systems using a telecommunications network.

    His arrest followed a short investigation by the Australian High Tech
    Crime Centre (AHTCC) after it received a complaint on October 23 from
    Pacific.

    Gilmore's home and workplace at Mt Gravatt were searched.

    He is accused of hacking into Cambridge University's computer system
    from July 27 to July 31 this year and using an existing vulnerability
    to alter administration access and system utilities.

    The second charge relates to accessing and modifying restricted data
    of a server operated by Pacific Internet.

    Pacific Internet managing director Dennis Muscat said the teenager did
    not cause any damage to the ISP's systems as the firewall in place
    prevented access to sensitive data.

    He said the intrusion detection system which the company had in place
    had worked as expected.

    AHTCC director, federal agent Alastair MacGibbon said: "As soon as
    Pacific Internet became aware a breach had occurred, they notified
    police immediately. Less than 24-hours later, we had arrested a
    suspect in Brisbane.

    "The quick notification and cooperation we received from Pacific
    Internet made all the difference in this case and I'd like to
    encourage all other Australian ISPs to do the same should they find
    themselves in a similar situation," MacGibbon said.

    He said comprehensive logs and records of access and activity provided
    vital evidence and urged all ISPs to ensure these are maintained.

    "We have worked collaboratively with industry to develop guidelines in
    relation to the types of data internet companies should retain and how
    this data should be handled for forensic purposes," MacGibbon added.

    Gilmore will face court again in Brisbane on February 16 for a
    committal mention of the charges.

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org