[ISN] [Politech] A reply on Chinanet, spam, and blocking Chinese networks [fs]

From: InfoSec News (isn@private)
Date: Tue Nov 18 2003 - 23:17:05 PST

    ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 09:27:16 -0500
    From: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>
    To: politech@private
    Subject: [Politech] A reply on Chinanet, spam,
         and blocking Chinese networks [fs]

    As the senior operational security officer for a large multinational
    ISP, I find a particular irony here that many of your readers may
    miss:  while Chinanet is busy blocking American universities, a large
    portion of the ISPs in the United States have already taken to
    blocking all of Chinanet from their own networks.

    In our experience, Chinanet is one of the top 3 sources of unsolicited
    email, on the public Internet - they absolutely refuse to enforce
    their own AUPs, let alone the criminal laws of the EU, US, and other
    sovereigns.  Granted, these laws are not technically their problem,
    however, these failures have lead to such a significant decrease in
    Chinanet's connectivity to the rest of the world that there has been
    some (albeit moderate) political backlash (Google is your friend
    here).

    Chinanet seviced networks also rate very high for other types of
    abuse, such as distributed attacks, network reconn, etc.

    Interestingly, the vast majority of Chinanet's problems originate with
    American customers or "hackers", and this may well be a defensive move
    in their eyes.

    In short, I suspect there is a lot more to this than meets the eye.

    [name withheld]

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org