RE: [ISN] InfoSec 2003: 'Zero-day' attacks seen as growing threat

From: InfoSec News (isn@private)
Date: Tue Dec 16 2003 - 03:34:14 PST

    Forwarded from: Pete Lindstrom <petelind@private>

    That is of course the paradox here, but one would think that over time
    there would be much more specific information (i.e. real evidence, not
    the typical "if I told you I'd have to kill you" nudge, nudge, wink,
    wink b.s.) about zero-day attacks after they happened.

    AFAIK, the only zero-days that have been identified after the fact
    (which by definition is the only way we can identify them) are the
    WebDAV exploit earlier this year and Dave Aitel's Real Server exploit.
    I would love to add to this list of zero-days that we eventually found
    out about if anyone has first-hand accounts...

    FYI, I define zero-day exploits as exploits that were used to actually
    compromise a system ("in the wild") before the vulnerability was known
    to exist by most security professionals (not published on public
    security mailing lists - CERT, Bugtraq, Full Disclosure, Vendors,
    etc.). Any past examples out there?

    I don't agree with your last statement that very few things will pick
    up something awry - the really smart security folks are working with
    honeypots, ids solutions, and other network monitoring solutions to do
    just that. This is an area that requires much more attention and
    intelligence - rather than beating on an application looking for new
    vulnerabilities.

    Pete

    Pete Lindstrom, CISSP
    Research Director
    Spire Security, LLC
    www.spiresecurity.com
    (w) 610-644-9064

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org