[ISN] 'Homeless hacker' pleads guilty to Times hack

From: InfoSec News (isn@private)
Date: Fri Jan 09 2004 - 09:46:15 PST

    Forwarded from: William Knowles <wk@private>

    http://news.com.com/2100-1028_3-5137803.html

    By Declan McCullagh
    Staff Writer, CNET News.com
    January 8, 2004

    Adrian Lamo, the "homeless hacker" famous for his rootless lifestyle
    and boasts of high-profile electronic intrusions, on Thursday pleaded
    guilty to hacking into The New York Times Co.'s computer network.

    Lamo, 22, pleaded guilty in federal court in New York City to one
    count of computer damage that caused more than $5,000 in losses to The
    New York Times Co. In a telephone interview Monday, Lamo said he would
    enter the plea as part of an agreement struck with prosecutors: "The
    alternative would essentially destroy my family. I've always said that
    for every action I've ever taken, I'm willing to own up to the
    consequences."

    Under the plea agreement, Lamo agreed to serve an expected prison term
    of between six months and one year. But U.S. District Judge Naomi
    Buchwald will have the final say at a sentencing hearing set for April 8.

    "I knew I crossed the line...I am genuinely remorseful," Lamo told the
    judge during Thursday's hearing.

    Lamo pleaded guilty to hacking into The New York Times' internal
    computer network between February and April of 2002. In that incident,
    which The New York Times confirmed at the time, Lamo said he was able
    to view employee records, including Social Security numbers. He said
    he could access the contact information for the paper's sources and
    columnists, including such well-known contributors as former U.S.
    President Jimmy Carter and former Marine Col. Oliver North.

    The charges against Lamo also involved running up The New York Times'
    bill for LexisNexis, a commercial database of news and other articles.
    Initially, prosecutors claimed that the bill reached about $300,000,
    but on Thursday, they reduced their estimate to between $30,000 and
    $70,000.

    In an earlier interviews with CNET News.com, before his surrender to
    the FBI in August, Lamo claimed to be responsible for intrusions into
    systems at MCI WorldCom in December 2001, Microsoft in October 2001,
    Yahoo in September 2001 and Excite@Home in May 2001. When he entered
    Yahoo's system, Lamo said, he was able to alter news articles on the
    company's site.

    Any such intrusion could violate the federal Computer Fraud and Abuse
    Act, which punishes anyone who "intentionally accesses a computer
    without authorization or exceeds authorized access." Penalties involve
    fines and between one and five years in prison, depending on the
    charges.

    Lamo is known for his unconventional lifestyle. Before the courts
    ordered him to return to the Sacramento, Calif., area to live with his
    parents, Lamo had no fixed address and instead wandered around the
    United States on Greyhound buses, sleeping on friends' couches and,
    when necessary, staying in vacant or derelict buildings.

    On Thursday, Sean Hecker, Lamo's court-appointed defense attorney,
    reiterated in a telephone interview that Lamo was sorry and is willing
    to pay the price, "which is exactly what he did in court today...He's
    looking to move on with his life."

    Reuters contributed to this report.

    "Communications without intelligence is noise;  Intelligence
    without communications is irrelevant." Gen Alfred. M. Gray, USMC
    C4I.org - Computer Security, & Intelligence - http://www.c4i.org
    Help C4I.org with a donation: http://www.c4i.org/contribute.html