[ISN] Computer containing airline ticketing info stolen

From: InfoSec News (isn@private)
Date: Thu Jan 15 2004 - 03:30:52 PST

    http://www.computerworld.com/securitytopics/security/story/0,10801,89062,00.html

    Story by Linda Rosencrance
    JANUARY 14, 2004
    COMPUTERWORLD

    Airlines Reporting Corp. (ARC), an airline-owned financial transaction
    processing company, said yesterday that two computers, one of which
    contained airline ticketing data, have been stolen.  It wasn't clear
    where the computers were taken from, or when, and the Arlington,
    Va.-based company offered few details about the theft.

    In a statement, ARC said that its information so far indicates that
    the theft of the computers, as well as one computer monitor and a
    projector, were simple property thefts. "To date, no misuse of data
    has been reported to ARC," the company said.

    ARC said it "has made the appropriate notifications commensurate with
    the theft and that, as a result, the necessary steps are being taken."

    Although the stolen equipment was used in important support functions,
    it wasn't fundamental to the company's operations, ARC said.

    The company said it isn't in a position to provide further details
    about the theft because of an ongoing investigation by law enforcement
    officials. ARC spokesman Allan Muten confirmed that the company
    wouldn't comment about the incident beyond the statement posted on its
    Web site.

    Jason Schechter, a spokesman for UAL Corp.'s United Air Lines Inc.,
    said that his airline had data on the computer. "We have worked with
    ARC and the credit card companies to ensure we have all the
    information necessary to convey to our customers," he said. "We've
    also given our employees information about what happened ... and what
    to tell our customers."

    Schechter said United hasn't gotten any complaints from customers
    about the misuse of any personal information that might have been on
    the stolen computer.

    Northwest Airlines Inc. also had customer data on the stolen computer,
    according to company spokesman Kurt Ebenhoch. Like United, Northwest
    hasn't received any information that customers' personal data has been
    misused.

    Delta Air Lines Inc. and AMR Corp's American Airlines Inc. also
    confirmed that the stolen computer contained some of their customer
    data.

    Reuters contributed to this report.

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org