[ISN] Linux Advisory Watch - January 16th 2004

From: InfoSec News (isn@private)
Date: Sun Jan 18 2004 - 22:46:48 PST

    |  LinuxSecurity.com                        Linux Advisory Watch |
    |  January 16th, 2004                        Volume 5, Number 3a |

      Editors:     Dave Wreski                Benjamin Thomas
                   dave@private     ben@private

    Linux Advisory Watch is a comprehensive newsletter that outlines the
    security vulnerabilities that have been announced throughout the week.
    It includes pointers to updated packages and descriptions of each
    vulnerability.

    This week, advisories were released for phpgroupware, kernel, jitterbug,
    ethereal, kdepim, cvs, kdepim, and tcpdump.  The distributors include
    Debian, Gentoo, Mandrake, Red Hat, Slackware, SuSE, and Trustix.

    Implementing any large security project on the Linux operating system
    requires the use of cryptography.  Several weeks ago, I wrote about a book
    by Fred Piper and Sean Murphy titled, "Cryptography: A Very Short
    Introduction."  It offers a very good introduction to the subject, but
    those wishing to implement cryptography in an open source projects need a
    more in-depth understanding of the area.  Another excellent resource is
    the "Handbook of Applied Cryptography," by Menezes, Oorschot, and
    Vanstone.  It has often been considered "the bible of cryptography" and
    offers a detailed and technical view.

    The first several chapters of the book focus on the basics. It gives an
    overview and history of cryptography and follows with an explanation of
    the mathematics necessary to understand the algorithms.  Midway through
    the book, it gives detailed information to help the reader understand
    stream ciphers, block ciphers, and finally public key encryption. After
    the reader has an understanding of the algorithms, the book moves to
    explain how they can be used in key establishment protocols.  It also
    offers chapters on key management and tips for efficient implementation.

    For the long time manager, this book may be slightly on the technical
    side.  However, there are clear benefits for management having an
    understanding of technical subjects. Cryptography today offers a very
    strong level of protection. It only fails in implementation.  For example,
    keys are not properly protected or managed.  For those of you wishing to
    learn a little more about the fascinating subject of cryptography, I
    highly recommend this book.

    Perhaps the best part is that the book is available fully for free on the
    Web:

     http://www.cacr.math.uwaterloo.ca/hac/

    Hard-copies of the book can also be purchased through Amazon or any other
    large bookseller.

    When any company decides to take on a in-house software development
    project, it is essential to include cryptographic mechanisms.  Books such
    as this, can give programmers the proper knowledge necessary to understand
    how cryptography works and how to avoid problems.

    Until next time, cheers!
    Benjamin D. Thomas
    ben@private

    ---

    Managing Linux Security Effectively in 2004

    This article examines the process of proper Linux security management in
    2004.  First, a system should be hardened and patched.  Next, a security
    routine should be established to ensure that all new vulnerabilities are
    addressed.  Linux security should be treated as an evolving process.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/feature_story-157.html

    CONCERNED ABOUT THE NEXT THREAT? EnGarde is the undisputed winner!
    Hardened Linux Puts Hackers EnGarde! Winner of the Network Computing
    Editor's Choice Award, EnGarde "walked away with our Editor's Choice award
    thanks to the depth of its security strategy..." Find out what the other
    Linux vendors are not telling you.

    http://ads.linuxsecurity.com/cgi-bin/ad_redirect.pl?id=engarde2

    FEATURE: OSVDB: An Independent and Open Source Vulnerability Database This
    article outlines the origins, purpose, and future of the Open Source
    Vulnerability Database project. Also, we talk to with Tyler Owen, a major
    contributor.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/feature_story-156.html

    -->  Take advantage of the LinuxSecurity.com Quick Reference Card!
    -->  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/docs/QuickRefCard.pdf

    +---------------------------------+

     1/9/2004 - phpgroupware
       Multiple vulnerabilities

       Improper remote execution and SQL code injection issues.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-3938.html

     1/9/2004 - kernel
       Priv. Escal. additional patches

       Since DSA 417-1 lacked fixed kernel image files for the alpha
       architecture these are added now.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-3939.html

     1/12/2004 - jitterbug
       Improper input sanatizing

       Allows an attacker to execute arbitary commands on server hosting
       bug database.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-3941.html

     1/12/2004 - mod-auth-shadow Account expiration not enforced
       Improper input sanatizing

       In this Apache module, expiration status of the user's account and
       password were not enforced.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-3943.html

     1/15/2004 - cvs
       Multiple vulnerabilities

       Anyone who could modify the CVSROOT/passwd could gain access to
       all local users on the CVS server, including root.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-3948.html

     1/15/2004 - kernel-image-2.4.17-ia64 Many backported vuln fixes
       Multiple vulnerabilities

       The IA-64 maintainers fixed several security related bugs in the
       Linux kernel 2.4.17 used for the IA-64 architecture, mostly by
       backporting fixes from 2.4.18.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-3949.html

    +---------------------------------+

     1/9/2004 - kernel
       Privilege escalation vulnerability

       A critical security vulnerability has been found in recent Linux
       kernels which allows for local privilege escalation.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/gentoo_advisory-3936.html

    +---------------------------------+

     1/13/2004 - ethereal
       Multiple DoS vulernabilities

       Two vulnerabilities can be exploited to make Ethereal crash.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/mandrake_advisory-3944.html

     1/15/2004 - kdepim
       Permission leak vulnerability

       This vulnerability allows for a carefully crafted .VCF file to
       enable a local attacker to execute arbitrary commands with the
       victim's privileges.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/mandrake_advisory-3953.html

    +---------------------------------+

     1/12/2004 - cvs
       Chroot breakout vulnerability

       cvs can attempt to create files and directories in the root file
       system
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-3942.html

     1/14/2004 - kdepim
       Buffer overflow vulnerability

       Updated kdepim packages are now available that fix a local buffer
       overflow vulnerability.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-3946.html

     1/14/2004 - tcpdump
       Denial of service vulnerability

       Crafted remote packets can result in a denial of service, or
       possibly execute arbitrary code as the 'pcap' user.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-3947.html

    +---------------------------------+

     1/9/2004 - kernel
       Priv. Escal. patch for 8.1

       There is a bounds-checking problem in the kernel's mremap() call
       which could be used by a local attacker to gain root privileges.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/slackware_advisory-3937.html

     1/15/2004 - INN
       Buffer overflow vulnerability

       Upgrade to inn-2.4.1 to fix a potentially exploitable buffer
       overflow.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/slackware_advisory-3951.html

     1/15/2004 - kdepim
       Permission leak vulnerability

       A carefully crafted .VCF file enables local attackers to execute
       arbitrary commands with the victim's privileges.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/slackware_advisory-3952.html

    +---------------------------------+

     1/14/2004 - tcpdump
       Denial of service vulnerability

       There is a remote DoS condition in tcpdumps ISAKMP handling.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/suse_advisory-3945.html

     1/15/2004 - kernel
       Many vulnerabilities fixed for 64bit

       Fixes vulnerabilities that can be used to gain root privilages.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/suse_advisory-3950.html

     1/15/2004 - tcpdump
       Denial of Service vulnerability

       A problem in tcpdump was discovered, where it was possible to
       crash the program by sending carefully crafted packets on the
       network.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/trustix_advisory-3954.html