[ISN] Wireless Chicago Hackers Have Hijacking Job Appallingly Easy

From: William Knowles (wk@private)
Date: Thu Jan 29 2004 - 02:22:58 PST

    http://www.eprairie.com/news/viewnews.asp?newsletterid=6473

    [When you read as much security news as I do, you begin to notice
    little anomalies, such is the case with this article below, it
    looks suspicisionly similar to an article in Fortune Magazine from
    1/26/2004 at...

    http://www.fortune.com/fortune/peterlewis/0,15704,575710,00.html

    While I guess you can blame this on the butterfly effect of two
    writers thinking the same thing on the same week, I think different
    forces are at work, you be the judge.  - WK]

    1/28/2004

    CHICAGO - Have you ever used the wireless network at a Chicago hotel
    or coffee shop?

    If you have, odds are a hacker owes you a thank you for letting him or
    her hijack your computer to spew spam over the internet. Also, to the
    establishment manager, the hackers say: "hanks ever so much for not
    securing the wireless network you recently installed. You've made it
    much easier for me to sit in your establishment and digitally browse
    the laptops of dozens of your patrons and guests."

    Driven by the demand brought on by business travelers and the
    nirvana-type promises of the wireless craze, establishments all over
    the world are adding wireless broadband connections. Before you jack
    your laptop into one of these public high-speed links, though,
    consider that by the time you check out of the hotel or finish that
    double-skinny latte someone else may have taken a stroll through your
    computer.

    I recently found myself in a discussion with an executive from a
    large, Chicago-based concern. The executive came away from the talk
    with enough doubt in his belief that his people will follow the rules
    his company has set down with regard to attaching to unapproved
    networks that he agreed to spend a day with me on a hacker's tour of
    wireless Chicago.

    What followed was an education of how appallingly simple it is to log
    onto the various public wireless networks around Chicago (or, for that
    matter, any city). Just to show how really simple this is, we used
    hacker tools easily downloaded from the Internet. At this juncture, I
    must add that it's not that hotels and coffee shops are the only ones
    with security issues.

    However, since laptop-toting business people may be carrying highly
    sensitive company files and they tend to frequent coffee shops and
    stay overnight at hotels, these locations become a target-rich
    environment for the digital predators. Much like the alligator lurking
    on the edge of the watering hole, the predator knows that sooner or
    later the unprepared wildebeest will stumble into his grasp.

    Our tour began with an upscale hotel in downtown Chicago that's known
    for a high number of executive-level business guests.

    I will admit that I did cheat a little in starting here as I've done a
    fair amount of reconnaissance in the way of war walking around
    downtown Chicago. In about 15 minutes, we had located 25 vulnerable
    laptops and four hotel back-office computers. We did this by simply
    looking for a wireless access point that was unsecured. Once found, we
    probed for computers that were daydreaming at the watering hole.

    Time for a disclaimer: We did not probe any of the vulnerable guest or
    hotel computers we were able to locate. The intent of this tour stop
    was to demonstrate how easy it is to find targets in the wild using a
    typically configured Windows laptop and connecting it to the hotel
    network as a typical business traveler would. We did not actually
    violate any guest or hotel computers.

    The next stop on the tour was a well-known and heavily frequented
    coffee shop. While sitting and sipping our double-shot espressos, I
    connected a laptop to the newly installed and highly publicized
    wireless network. Instead of doing the normal and expected activity of
    directing my computer outward to the Web, I used a popular security
    tool called NMAP (or network map) to see what else was on the network.

    Grossly simplified, NMAP enabled my computer to roam the coffee shop
    and find addresses that just might contain a wildebeest. The next step
    is to see which wildebeest is asleep at the watering hole by probing
    for ports that are unprotected. By the way, the typical PC has some
    65,000 ports. Hackers use a tool called a "port scanner" to see which
    wildebeest is day dreaming.

    Here's where my tour companion got an eye-opening experience: When it
    comes to computers, mobile business people often have an open-door
    policy.

    Many Windows-based laptops are sold with the vulnerable file-sharing
    option turned on by default. Even virtual private networks (VPNs),
    which create secure and encrypted tunnels to a corporate network over
    the Internet, are vulnerable to hackers. Though a VPN encrypts data
    traffic, underneath in the operating system layer there is still
    traffic that the predator can and will exploit.

    My tour companion came away with a new outlook of how well people
    secure - or should we say don't secure - their PCs. Oh, did I mention
    that the coffee shop was right around the corner from his corporate
    offices and many of the laptops we successfully exploited were from
    his own company?

    The take away from this tour is a set of simple rules we all know and
    practice in our day-to-day lives but seem to forget when we use those
    oh-so-convenient public wireless networks. Just lock your doors, don't
    talk to strangers and don't leave your wallet out in the open.
    However, when it comes to your laptop, forget about playing well with
    others and never share your toys.

    -=-

    Ben Apple is CEO of Chicago-based Management Solution Strategies. He
    has his CISSP certification and is a recognized instructor in IT
    security governance and IT security best practices. Apple can be
    reached at bapple@private

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org