[ISN] Security Maven Calls for Internet 'Disease Control' Agency

From: William Knowles (wk@private)
Date: Fri Jan 30 2004 - 05:50:52 PST

    By Dennis Fisher
    January 29, 2004

    SEATTLE - The dominance of Windows in the marketplace continues to
    represent a threat to the safety and security of the Internet and is a
    problem that must be addressed at the highest levels of government, a
    noted security researcher said in his keynote speech at the Black Hat
    Windows conference here Thursday.

    Dan Geer, one of the authors of last year's controversial paper on the
    subject of the Windows monoculture on the Internet, said that the
    assertions in the paper and his speech are not new and are beginning
    to draw the attention of legislators and government officials in the
    United States and abroad.

    "This wasn't a shot out of the dark. It's not a new idea, even though
    in some sense I got fired publicly because I said this," said Geer,
    who was fired as the chief technology officer of security consultancy
    @stake Inc. following the paper's publication. "This is a problem that
    demands attention on the national government scale and maybe the world
    scale. It is an idea whose time has come."

    Geer, who is now heading his own risk management firm and is also
    chief scientist at security vendor Verdasys Inc., said that Windows'
    dominance is only part of a complex equation that has led to this
    state of affairs. Also contributing to the problem is the relative
    lack of skill of most PC users and the number of current
    vulnerabilities in Windows.

    To combat the combination of these issues, Geer endorsed the idea of a
    central authority that would collect data on virus outbreaks and other
    problems, analyze the malware, look for protective measures, and look
    for new infection vectors and ways to defend against those attacks.

    The idea for a kind of Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for
    the Internet is not new, nor is it Geer's. It was first proposed in a
    paper called "How to Own the Internet in Your Spare Time," which was
    presented at the 2002 Usenix Security Symposium.

    "The idea of a CDC-type organization for the Internet is a very
    intriguing one," Geer said.

    Given the magnitude of the MyDoom virus outbreak this week, it is an
    idea that may begin to get some traction.

    Geer also raised the possibility that the government would be forced
    to develop some regulations regarding security and liability if the
    industry doesn't address the problem on its own.

    "Let me be clear. I loathe regulation. Loathe it," he said. "But we
    are going to get some regulation. I just want to make sure that we get
    the right kind."

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org