[ISN] Linux Security Week - February 2nd 2004

From: William Knowles (wk@private)
Date: Tue Feb 03 2004 - 03:54:37 PST

    |  LinuxSecurity.com                            Weekly Newsletter     |
    |  February 2nd, 2004                             Volume 5, Number 5n |
    |  Editorial Team:  Dave Wreski             dave@private    |
    |                   Benjamin Thomas         ben@private     |

    Thank you for reading the LinuxSecurity.com weekly security newsletter.
    The purpose of this document is to provide our readers with a quick
    summary of each week's most relevant Linux security headlines.

    This week, perhaps the most interesting articles include "Identity Based
    Encryption," "Securing Linux Systems With Host-Based Firewalls Implemented
    With Linux iptables," and "Introduction to OpenVPN."

    >> Enterprise Security for the Small Business <<
    Never before has a small business productivity solution been designed with
    such robust security features.  Engineered with security as a main focus,
    the Guardian Digital Internet Productivity Suite is the cost-effective
    solution small businesses have been waiting for.

    http://ads.linuxsecurity.com/cgi-bin/newad_redirect.pl?id=gdn07

    ---

    LINUX ADVISORY WATCH:
    This week, advisories were released for gnupg, trr19, slocate, screen,
    mod_python, gaim, jabber, mc, and tcpdump. The distributors include
    Debian, Fedora, Gentoo, Mandrake, Red Hat, Slackware, and SuSE.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/forums_article-8837.html

    ----

    Introduction to Netwox and Interview with Creator Laurent Constantin

    In this article Duane Dunston gives a brief introduction to Netwox, a
    combination of over 130 network auditing tools.  Also, Duane interviews
    Laurent Constantin, the creator of Netwox.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/feature_story-158.html

    CONCERNED ABOUT THE NEXT THREAT? EnGarde is the undisputed winner!

    Hardened Linux Puts Hackers EnGarde! Winner of the Network Computing
    Editor's Choice Award, EnGarde "walked away with our Editor's Choice award
    thanks to the depth of its security strategy..." Find out what the other
    Linux vendors are not telling you.

    http://ads.linuxsecurity.com/cgi-bin/ad_redirect.pl?id=engarde2

    Managing Linux Security Effectively in 2004

    This article examines the process of proper Linux security management in
    2004.  First, a system should be hardened and patched.  Next, a security
    routine should be established to ensure that all new vulnerabilities are
    addressed.  Linux security should be treated as an evolving process.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/feature_story-157.html

    -->  Take advantage of the LinuxSecurity.com Quick Reference Card!
    -->  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/docs/QuickRefCard.pdf

    +---------------------+
    | Host Security News: | <<-----[ Articles This Week ]-------------
    +---------------------+

    * Secure Web Based Mail Services
    January 29th, 2004

    What do field sales people, home teleworkers, medical personnel, and any
    one working remotely from a central site have in common? A need for up to
    the minute information. One of the most successful models for using the
    Internet for business is the information dissemination model.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/documentation_article-8834.html

    * Identity Based Encryption
    January 28th, 2004

    For years the undisputed "best of breed" technologies for enterprise email
    encryption were Secure MIME (S/MIME) or PGP. Support for S/MIME has been
    built into popular email clients, going back nearly a decade. Originally
    considered the tool of the hacker elite, PGP has evolved into highly
    effective enterprise tool, usable by mere mortals.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/cryptography_article-8825.html

    * Updated: Linux Security HOWTO
    January 27th, 2004

    This document is a general overview of security issues that face the
    administrator of Linux systems. It covers general security philosophy and
    a number of specific examples of how to better secure your Linux system
    from intruders. Also included are pointers to security-related material
    and programs.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/documentation_article-8823.html

    +------------------------+
    | Network Security News: |
    +------------------------+

    * Securing Linux Systems With Host-Based Firewalls Implemented With
    Linux iptables
    January 30th, 2004

    This article provides information and recommendations for securing Linux
    operating systems with host-based firewalls. This article aims to provide
    readers with a template for constructing a host-based firewall that
    provides a useful layer of protection against the risks of exposing a
    system to internal and/or external users.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/firewalls_article-8836.html

    * Zaurus Security Tools
    January 27th, 2004

    Irongeek's little Guide on how to get Linux security and penetration
    testing apps to work on a Sharp Zaurus.  Hi all, my name is Adrian
    Crenshaw. I have a strong interest in the topic of computer security and
    love futzing around with technology.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/documentation_article-8819.html

    * Wireless Intruder Detection Network Will Enhance Security
    January 27th, 2004

    The Helena Regional Airport Authority is partnering with a group of
    high-technology companies and organizations to develop and implement a
    cyber-age security system which will detect intruders, use biometrics to
    identify them as "friend or foe," and alert security personnel via a
    wireless network.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/intrusion_detection_article-8817.html

    * SSL to be one of 2004s Bright Spots
    January 27th, 2004

    Adoption of virtual private networks (VPNs) based on the browser-based SSL
    technology is shaping up to be one of the key trends of 2004, especially
    as enterprises mobilize their workforces.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/network_security_article-8818.html

    * Introduction to OpenVPN
    January 26th, 2004

    For many systems administrators, choosing and managing a VPN system is
    often quite a headache.  Inflexible clients, servers, and protocols often
    prevent VPN's from being smoothly integrated into an already functioning
    network.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/network_security_article-8810.html

    +------------------------+
    | General Security News: |
    +------------------------+

    * Q&A:  Open-Source Guru Eric Raymond
    January 30th, 2004

    Q: Let's talk about XML security.  -- I know the guy who's running the XML
    Digital Signatures group. There's a standard that he expects will be
    issued shortly. At that point, we will have a standardized way of securing
    XML data blocks in a way that can be verified. And that kind of
    authentication and encryption is of course the basic building block of
    security.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/forums_article-8842.html

    * Digital Signatures and European Laws
    January 30th, 2004

    People who do business on the Internet require security and trust. In
    electronic commerce and communication you can't see the person you are
    speaking with, you can't see the documents that prove one's identity, and
    you can't even know if the web site you are connected to belongs to the
    society it says.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/government_article-8839.html

    * A Quantum Leap in Codes for Secure Transmissions
    January 29th, 2004

    Scientists at companies in Europe, Asia and the United States say they are
    close to a commercial version of what they see as an uncrackable way of
    transporting data.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/cryptography_article-8832.html