[ISN] How do homing pigeons navigate? They follow roads

From: InfoSec News (isn@private)
Date: Thu Feb 05 2004 - 03:08:29 PST

    Forwarded from: William Knowles <wk@private>

    http://portal.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/02/05/npige05.xml

    [I'll be honest here, there is little to no security information in
    this article, I found it interesting in the context of last week with
    all the spam I usually get, compounded with leftover virus traffic and
    then with MyDoom, I was about ready to implement RFC 1149. This really
    should be on a test for business continuity last resorts.   - WK]

    By Caroline Davies
    Filed: 05/02/2004

    Researchers have cracked the puzzle of how pigeons find their way
    home: they just follow the main roads.

    Zoologists now believe the phrase "as the crow flies" no longer means
    the shortest most direct route between two points. They say it is
    likely that crows and other diurnal birds also choose AA-suggested
    routes, even though it makes their journeys longer.

    Some pigeons stick so rigidly to the roads that they even fly round
    roundabouts before choosing the exit to lead them back to their lofts.

    Animal behaviouralists at Oxford University are stunned by their
    findings, which follow 10 years of research into homing pigeons. For
    the last 18 months they have used the latest global-positioning
    technology, allowing them to track the ground the birds covered to
    within one to four metres.

    "It really has knocked our research team sideways to find that after a
    decade-long international study, pigeons appear to ignore their
    inbuilt directional instincts and follow the road system," said Prof
    Tim Guilford, reader in animal behaviour at Oxford University's
    Department of Zoology.

    "For long-distance navigation and for birds doing a journey for the
    first time, they will use their inbuilt compasses and take sun and
    star bearings.

    "But once homing pigeons have flown a journey more than once, they
    home in on a habitual route home, much as we do when we are driving or
    walking home from work.

    "In short, it looks like it is mentally easier for a bird to fly down
    a road and then turn right. They are just making their journey as
    simple as possible".

    His team carried out dozens of tests with pigeons in Oxfordshire,
    releasing them between 10 and 20 miles from their lofts, each with a
    tiny GPS tracking device attached to their backs. Matching their
    routes, they found most flew straight down the A34 Oxford bypass.

    "It was almost comical watching one group of birds that we released
    near a major A road. They followed the road to the first junction
    where they all turned right, and a couple of junctions on, they all
    turned left".

    Not all of the pigeons did it all of the time, but there were enough
    occasions when they did for the researchers to build up a pattern.

    "We even had one bird flying down the road, going round the
    roundabout, taking one of the turnings down that to another roundabout
    then leaving the road.

    "Up until now, we have always thought about the way that birds go in
    terms of the energetics of the flight efficiency, which is the most
    direct route home . . . as in the phrase 'as the crow flies'.

    "But the answer is, they don't go as the crow flies, and neither, it
    is my hunch, do crows. As they get familiar with the environment, they
    just follow the obvious features which often don't take them directly
    home.

    "That may sound trivial to some people, but to us that is quite
    important because it is starting to get at the structure of a birds'
    memories, and what the map looks like to a bird.

    "We are genuinely surprised. It makes you think what did pigeons and
    other birds do before we cluttered the landscape with all these linear
    features. And it makes you think hard about how flexible animals are
    amid what we have done to their landscape.

    "Lots of animals have invaded and made use of the changes we have
    provided for them. You only have to look at Trafalgar Square and how
    it has become a fantastic three-dimensional cliff environment for
    pigeons to live in. It's evolution in action.

    "Maybe they were using rivers and coastlines before. But when we got
    our first tracks of birds flying up the dual carriageway and then
    turning off the road to the village where their home loft was, we
    thought, 'This shouldn't happen, but it's very exciting'.

    "Roads and important things like roundabouts do appear to be very
    attractive to birds. If they have made the journey before, the pigeons
    are more likely to say, 'Well, I know this is south - the way I want
    to be going - but rather than fiddle around with my inbuilt compass
    I'm going to follow the A34, which will take me home nicely'."

    Peter Brian, general manager of the Royal Pigeon Racing Association,
    based in Cheltenham, said: "Every Saturday you can see whole flocks of
    pigeons flying up the M5. Prof Guilford's research in animal behaviour
    and migration is renowned and there is a lot of credence to what he is
    saying. I think his findings are spot-on".

    "Communications without intelligence is noise;  Intelligence
    without communications is irrelevant." Gen Alfred. M. Gray, USMC
    C4I.org - Computer Security, & Intelligence - http://www.c4i.org
    Help C4I.org with a donation: http://www.c4i.org/contribute.html