[ISN] 'We're Making Rapid Progress'

From: InfoSec News (isn@private)
Date: Thu Feb 05 2004 - 03:05:04 PST

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A12893-2004Feb4.html

    By Jennifer Barrett
    Newsweek
    February 4, 2004

    The Department of Homeland Security didn't have to wait long to test
    out its new National Cyber Alert System. Hours after the system went
    online Wednesday, it issued its first major alert, warning of a
    variation of a new virus called MyDoom. Nonetheless, by the next day,
    security experts said MyDoom had become the world's fastest-spreading
    virus ever, sending out more than 100 million infected e-mails in its
    first 36 hours. And this may be just the beginning. Last year brought
    a record number of viruses, worms and other cyberattacks. Security
    experts say 2004 could be even worse. The attacks are increasingly
    sophisticated. They don't just cause headaches when they crash e-mail
    systems or shut down servers, they cost millions of dollars. Should
    hackers shut down government servers or break into sensitive sites and
    steal financial or security data, the results could be devastating.

    Recognizing the increasing security threat, President George W. Bush
    handed the task of keeping cyberspace secure to the Department of
    Homeland Security last year, creating a National Cyber Security
    Division. But it got off to a rough start. Earlier this month,
    Democrats on the House Homeland Security Select Committee criticized
    the administration, saying the implementation of recommendations in
    Bush's National Strategy to Secure Cyberspace is behind schedule. They
    also noted that the administration's top cybersecurity position was
    open for months last summer after the first two appointees stepped
    down--the second, just a few months after being named to the post.
    Finally, early last fall, Amit Yoran was hired away from his executive
    position at the security firm, Symantec. NEWSWEEK's Jennifer Barrett
    spoke to Yoran about the new National Cyber Alert System and the
    division's other plans for improving cyber security. Excerpts:

    NEWSWEEK: How does the new National Cyber Alert System benefit the
    average computer user?

    Amit Yoran: It provides each user of cyberspace--basically, everyone
    on the Internet--with timely information [about viruses], which is
    accurate and actionable, so they know what they can do to protect
    themselves. [See www.us-cert.gov/press_room/cas-announced.html.] This,
    at a time when these threats are on the rise.

    This week's MyDoom virus is said to be the fastest-spreading e-mail
    virus ever. How are viruses like this getting through?

    Well, just because it's the fastest spreading doesn't mean that it is
    the most damaging.

    That's true, and an important distinction. But how are these viruses
    getting worse--or more prolific--despite our efforts to stop them?

    The people who spend time creating viruses are spending a lot of time
    exercising their creativeness to find new ways of propagating their
    way through the system and making them more difficult to detect. It's
    a game of cat and mouse.

    How serious a threat do these viruses pose?

    This threat was one of the most efficient at spreading itself
    throughout the Internet. But I want to add that, in spite of it being
    one of the most sophisticated viruses, our nation is better prepared
    to deal with this now than we were a few years ago. A few years ago,
    we experienced significant outages in our businesses from Love Letter
    and Melissa and other viruses. Today, even with a more sophisticated
    threat, the reports of outages [like networks going down, e-mail
    servers being shut down] is far below where it was a few years ago
    with those less-sophisticated viruses. The message here is that we
    have a lot of work to do but our overall preparedness is improving.

    It's been reported that the government basically warned leaders in the
    technology field last month that if they don't start taking control of
    the responsibility of making cyberspace secure, that the government
    will be forced to take control. Do you think that's going to happen?

    Clearly, that's not my position. That was reported as being the
    message delivered at the National Cyber Security Summit [held last
    month with the private sector]. It's not an accurate depiction. The
    summit represented a transition from an agreement on a national
    strategy--on how we want to go about protecting our shared
    information, for example--to now [when] we are in the implementation
    mode. Now, it's what initiatives are underway so that this strategy
    moves forward and gets implemented? That was really the focus of the
    summit. I think there is a tremendous amount of enthusiasm to
    collaborate from the private and the public sectors.

    What role do you envision the private sector playing in improving
    security?

    If you go to the Website for US-CERT [the United States Computer
    Emergency Readiness Team, established in September as a government
    partnership with the private sector], we've issued an alert early last
    evening [about MyDoom] and much of the information came from
    private-sector companies like F-Secure and iDEFENSE. That is just one
    example of this public-private partnership. We are working with the
    software vendors to make sure they are producing patches and fixes
    before the vulnerability becomes public. Making people aware of a
    vulnerability is not our goal, but to provide information that is
    actionable so there are patches available. We're not producing our own
    antivirus software. We're quite busy, thank you. But we refer people
    to their security provider and to antivirus vendors.

    What about proposals like requiring Internet service providers [ISPs]
    to provide free antivirus and firewall software to their customers?

    I've not spoken with them [ISPs] about that. I do think there is some
    value-added services which some ISPs are providing. It's good that
    these issues are receiving public attention.

    Why do you think it took so long for cyberattacks to be classified as
    a serious threat to homeland security?

    I think in many cases, without having a focal event like a September
    11, or like the blackout in the Northeast and Midwest last
    summer--some highly visible, focal event that caused a direct impact
    to many people in the public--it's often difficult to increase
    awareness. But we have made significant progress in the past few
    years. I'm not implying that the road ahead is rosy. But I am
    optimistic that by increasing our preparedness, we increase the
    likelihood that we will not be struck by a digital Pearl Harbor or an
    electronic 9/11. The key is preparedness. The key is making
    improvements.

    Can you give some examples of those improvements?

    It has to be a holistic approach. Antivirus vendors have made
    fantastic progress with new logarithms to identify viruses and more
    efficient ways of pushing out updates of their signature files (many
    antivirus technologies rely on fingerprints, or signatures, of
    viruses, so they can identify if it's the same fingerprint of another
    virus). Candidly, you are only protected for the threats your
    antivirus program knows about, so if your signature file is two years
    [old] you are in bad shape. The antivirus community has gotten much
    more efficient, though, and users have gotten much more aware, and
    corporations have gotten much more aware of the importance of updating
    their software. That is one more important piece of the puzzle. But
    there are really a number of things.

    You took the position of cybersecurity division chief in October after
    two other appointees had stepped down, and left the post vacant for a
    few months. Are you enjoying the job?

    There's no shortage of work to be done. But the task is an important
    one, and I'm encouraged by the level of commitment in the public
    sector and in the private sector that are working on these issues. It
    is certainly a challenging job.

    Earlier this month, Democrats on the on the Homeland Security Select
    Committee criticized the administration's cybersecurity efforts,
    saying that implementation of the recommendations in the National
    Strategy to Secure Cyberspace (released last February) is behind
    schedule, among other things. How would you respond to that?

    We're measuring ourselves in the National Cyber Security Division on
    very tight time frames. I'm not going to address specific criticisms,
    but I can tell you that we are moving very aggressively. The
    Department of Homeland Security was created in March. The National
    Cyber Security Division was created in June. In September, the US-CERT
    was created. We have conducted the live-wire exercise.

    What was that?

    That's where not only federal, but state and local entities
    participated, as well as the private sector, in a large-scale national
    cyberexercise where our nation was under simulated attack using
    cybertechniques. And we looked at how those attacks impacted some of
    our systems and some of our infrastructure. How did they
    [participants] react? How did the departments work with one another?
    How did they coordinate?

    How did they do?

    It was apparent that we need to increase the level of information
    exchange between the public and private sector. But, overall, I was
    very favorably surprised at how well coordinated we are. I'd give it a
    B-plus. That's not bad, given our state of development. There is a lot
    of work underway. I am confident that we're making rapid progress.

    What do you see as the biggest challenges ahead?

    Well, there's no shortages of challenges in our division, but we'll
    stay very focused on implementation and execution and collaborating
    with the private sector.

    Can you give some specific examples?

    We want to be sure that we bring our national resources to the table
    and make sure we are able to provide the actionable information from
    whatever source--it could be law-enforcement based, intelligence
    based, it can come out of the private sector. We want to bring the
    information in an actionable way to the operators responsible for
    protecting the public interest. By that, I mean that 85 percent of the
    critical infrastructure owner and operators are in the private sector.

    So the government would be willing to provide the private sector with
    sensitive data gathered by intelligence agencies?

    This is a new paradigm for the government to operate under. It had
    been focused on getting highly classified information just to the
    folks who needed it. But there's been a paradigm shift, and the
    warfighters now are more frequently on the private-sector side. The
    government is learning now how to do that [share information]--it's a
    front-and-center focal point.

    By the end of 2004, do you think we'll see a decrease in virus attacks
    like MyDoom?

    I think it's unlikely to expect that there will be fewer viruses
    written. Every indication we have is that it will only continue to
    rise and become more efficient in how they propagate themselves. But I
    think we will continue to improve our preparedness to deal with them.

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org