[ISN] Linux Advisory Watch - February 6th 2004

From: InfoSec News (isn@private)
Date: Mon Feb 09 2004 - 01:36:57 PST

    |  LinuxSecurity.com                        Linux Advisory Watch |
    |  February 6th, 2004                        Volume 5, Number 6a |

      Editors:     Dave Wreski                Benjamin Thomas
                   dave@private     ben@private

    Linux Advisory Watch is a comprehensive newsletter that outlines the
    security vulnerabilities that have been announced throughout the week.
    It includes pointers to updated packages and descriptions of each
    vulnerability.

    This week, advisories were released for perl, crawl, kernel, cvs, tcpdump,
    ethereal, mksnap_ffs, gaim, NetPBM, and mc. The distributors include
    Debian, Fedora, FreeBSD, Mandrake, and Red Hat.

    ----

    >> Secure Mail Suite:  Complete Corporate Email System <<
    Easily configure a comprehensive and completely secure corporate email
    system for an entire organization.  Integrated security and productivity
    features combine to create the perfect office messaging system.

    http://ads.linuxsecurity.com/cgi-bin/newad_redirect.pl?id=gdn02

    ----

    We all love the Web, but there are parts of it that annoy all of us.
    Pop-ups!  Pop-ups!  Endless banners!  Did I mention pop-ups? At this
    point, most of us have found ways to manage it.  However, we are always
    looking for something more effective.

    On Monday, a new version of Privoxy (http://www.privoxy.org) was released.
    Privoxy is an open source project that begins with a software package
    called Internet Juckbuster and quickly forked into its own project with
    the first stable release version 3.0 in August 2002.  Privoxy is a
    Web-based proxy engine with filtering capabilities that help protect an
    individual's privacy. The Privoxy engine can performs tasks such as
    modifying Web content, cookie management, and removing banner & pop-up

    The most recent release of Privoxy is 3.0.3.  After installation, it can
    be configured quickly and easily.  Most questions can be cleared up by
    referencing section 4 (Quickstart), and section 2 (Installation) of the
    Privoxy User Manual.

    Unlike many small GPL projects, the Privoxy team is well organized. For
    those wishing to modify or make improvements to the software, a
    developer's manual is available.  This manual includes information on how
    to establish a connection to the CVS repository, comment requirements,
    naming conventions, testing guidelines, and many other areas of useful
    information.  This document could prove to be very useful.

    Privoxy is available for a number of different Linux distributions and
    operating systems.  Those using Red Hat, Conectiva, Debian, SuSE, and
    Gentoo will have no trouble installing it.  Binary packages are also
    available for Mac OS X, Windows, OS/2, and several flavors of BSD.

    More information about Privoxy and the latest releases can be found at the
    following URL:  http://www.privoxy.org

    Until next time, cheers!
    Benjamin D. Thomas
    ben@private

    ---

    Introduction to Netwox and Interview with Creator Laurent Constantin

    In this article Duane Dunston gives a brief introduction to Netwox, a
    combination of over 130 network auditing tools.  Also, Duane interviews
    Laurent Constantin, the creator of Netwox.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/feature_story-158.html

    CONCERNED ABOUT THE NEXT THREAT? EnGarde is the undisputed winner!

    Hardened Linux Puts Hackers EnGarde! Winner of the Network Computing
    Editor's Choice Award, EnGarde "walked away with our Editor's Choice award
    thanks to the depth of its security strategy..." Find out what the other
    Linux vendors are not telling you.

    http://ads.linuxsecurity.com/cgi-bin/ad_redirect.pl?id=engarde2

    Managing Linux Security Effectively in 2004

    This article examines the process of proper Linux security management in
    2004.  First, a system should be hardened and patched.  Next, a security
    routine should be established to ensure that all new vulnerabilities are
    addressed.  Linux security should be treated as an evolving process.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/feature_story-157.html

    -->  Take advantage of the LinuxSecurity.com Quick Reference Card!
    -->  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/docs/QuickRefCard.pdf

    +---------------------------------+

     2/2/2004 - perl
       Information leak

       An attacker could abuse suidperl to discover information about
       files that should not be accessible to unprivileged users.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-3986.html

     2/3/2004 - crawl
       Buffer overflow vulnerability

       The program applies an unchecked-length environment variable into
       a fixed size buffer.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-3994.html

     2/4/2004 - kernel
       Privilage escalation MIPS patch

       Integer overflow in the do_brk() function of the Linux kernel
       allows local users to gain root privileges.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-3996.html

    +---------------------------------+

     2/2/2004 - cvs
       Multiple vulnerabilities

       Vulnerabilities allow cvs to write to root filesystem and retain
       root privileges.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/fedora_advisory-3987.html

     2/3/2004 - tcpdump
       Malformed packet vulnerability

       If the victim uses tcpdump, attack could result in a denial of
       service, or possibly execute arbitrary code as the 'pcap' user.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/fedora_advisory-3992.html

     2/3/2004 - etherial
       Denial of service vulnerability

       Multiple security vulnerabilities may allow attackers to make
       Ethereal crash using intentionally malformed packets.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/fedora_advisory-3993.html

    +---------------------------------+

     1/30/2004 - mksnap_ffs
       Improper option clearing

       Possible consequences an include disabling extended access control
       lists or enabling the use of setuid executables stored on an
       untrusted filesystem.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/freebsd_advisory-3985.html

    +---------------------------------+

     2/2/2004 - gaim
       Multiple vulernabilities

       Multiple buffer overflows exist in gaim 0.75 and earlier.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/mandrake_advisory-3988.html

    +---------------------------------+

     2/3/2004 - NetPBM
       Temporary file vulnerabilities

       A number of temporary file bugs have been found in versions of
       NetPBM.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-3989.html

     2/3/2004 - mc
       Buffer overflow vulnerability

       A buffer overflow allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary
       code during symlink conversion.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-3990.html

     2/3/2004 - util-linux Login data leakage
       Buffer overflow vulnerability

       In some situations, the login program could use a pointer that had
       been freed and reallocated.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-3991.html

     2/3/2004 - kernel
       Multiple vulnerabilities

       Updated kernel packages are now available that fix a few security
       issues.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-3995.html