[ISN] Linux Security Week - February 23rd 2004

From: InfoSec News (isn@private)
Date: Mon Feb 23 2004 - 09:17:01 PST

    |  LinuxSecurity.com                            Weekly Newsletter     |
    |  February 23rd, 2004                            Volume 5, Number 8n |
    |  Editorial Team:  Dave Wreski             dave@private    |
    |                   Benjamin Thomas         ben@private     |

    Thank you for reading the LinuxSecurity.com weekly security newsletter.
    The purpose of this document is to provide our readers with a quick
    summary of each week's most relevant Linux security headlines.

    This week, perhaps the most interesting articles include "A practical
    approach for defeating Nmap OS-Fingerprinting," "SSL vs. IPsec: Which Is
    Right For Your VPN," and "Sniffing Switched Networks."

    ----

    >> Internet Productivity Suite:  Open Source Security <<
    Trust Internet Productivity Suites open source architecture to give you
    the best security and productivity applications available. Collaborating
    with thousands of developers, Guardian Digital security engineers
    implement the most technologically advanced ideas and methods into their
    design.

    http://ads.linuxsecurity.com/cgi-bin/newad_redirect.pl?id=gdn08

    ----

    LINUX ADVISORY WATCH:
    This week, advisories were released for gnupg, kernel, mc, mutt, slocate,
    XFree86, gaim, freeradius, samba, phpMyAdmin, clamav, mailman, metamail,
    racoon, shmat, OpenSSL, and PWLib.  The distributors include Debian,
    Fedora, Gentoo, Immunix, Mandrake, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Red Hat, Slackware,
    SuSE, Trustix, and Turbolinux.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/forums_article-8940.html

    ----

    Interview with Vincenzo Ciaglia, Founder of Netwosix - In this article, a
    brief introduction of Netwosix is given and the project founder Vincenzo
    Ciaglia is interviewed.  Netwosix is light Linux distribution for system
    administrators and advanced users.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/feature_story-160.html

    Guardian Digital Launches Next Generation EnGarde Secure Linux

    Guardian Digital, Inc., the world's premier open source security company,
    announced an update to the next generation, award-winning platform that
    delivers features designed to ease the process of building a complete
    Internet presence and the level of security necessary to prevent system
    compromise. EnGarde Secure Linux leverages the best open source
    applications available to provide secure Internet connectivity, user
    privacy, Web and email functions, and intrusion detection.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/feature_story-159.html

    -->  Take advantage of the LinuxSecurity.com Quick Reference Card!
    -->  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/docs/QuickRefCard.pdf

    +---------------------+
    | Host Security News: | <<-----[ Articles This Week ]----------
    +---------------------+

    * Linux Kernel Flaws Uncovered
    February 21st, 2004

    Security researchers are warning of potentially serious vulnerabilities in
    the Linux kernel that could allow malicious hackers to gain full
    super-user privileges.  The vulnerability affects the 2.6.x branch prior
    to version 2.6.3 and the Linux kernel memory management code.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/host_security_article-8947.html

    * A practical approach for defeating Nmap OS-Fingerprinting
    February 20th, 2004

    In my opinion, it's pretty clear that we can't rely on only one security
    tool to remotely guess the Operating System. This paper has shown that
    it's very easy to fool Nmap (and other similar tools) when trying to
    profile a remote device, and that all those attempts can be properly
    logged by the remote administrator.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/documentation_article-8941.html

    * Linux serves up triple threat
    February 20th, 2004

    Three separate security flaws could be used by an ordinary user to gain
    total control of a Linux server or workstation, security researchers have
    warned.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/host_security_article-8945.html

    * Another security hole found in Linux kernel
    February 19th, 2004

    A second serious vulnerability in the mremap system call found in the
    Linux kernel was discovered Wednesday and enterprises are urged to
    immediately update to new versions of the kernel or apply patches from
    their distributor.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/host_security_article-8935.html

    * Dealing With The End Of Life Of Red Hat Linux 7.x, 8.0 and 9
    February 18th, 2004

    Red Hat Linux versions 7.0, 7.1, 7.2, 7.3 and 8.0 hit their end of life
    December 31, 2003. Red Hat Linux version 9 hits end of life on April 30,
    2004. As you are reading this paper on or after January 1st, 2004 the
    support for Red Hat Linux 7.x and 8.0 is already ended.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/host_security_article-8932.html

    * The Os-Hids Project
    February 18th, 2004

    OsHids is an Open Source software that analyzes your log files and take
    some actions if it founds something malicious. The OsHids can be run on
    "Real-time", as a daemon, or you can execute it using crontab.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/intrusion_detection_article-8927.html

    * Using GnuPG, Part I
    February 17th, 2004

    In today's world, communication has broken all previous time and distance
    limits. Now you can talk with someone in real-time no matter how far away
    he is. That advantage has also brought some major problems with itself.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/cryptography_article-8921.html

    +------------------------+
    | Network Security News: |
    +------------------------+

    * SSL vs. IPsec: Which Is Right For Your VPN?
    February 17th, 2004

    Dave Wreski, CEO of Guardian Digital, says "Guardian Digital customers
    implement IPsec VPNs for connecting their branch offices and critical
    internal systems and SSL VPNs as an option for mobile users." Wreski is
    the author of much of the authoritative documentation on Linux security.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/network_security_article-8922.html

    * WiFi Opens Doors For Crooks, Identity Thieves
    February 16th, 2004

    Wireless technology is exploding in popularity. But as KIRO 7 Eyewitness
    News Consumer Investigator Wayne Havrelly discovered, high-tech criminals
    love it even more than you do.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/network_security_article-8918.html

    * Sniffing Switched Networks
    February 16th, 2004

    You are probably familiar with how easy it is to sniff traffic on a shared
    network and how traffic is sent. But I will explain a bit about how a hub
    works on a shared network as an introduction anyway.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/network_security_article-8915.html

    +------------------------+
    | General Security News: |
    +------------------------+

    * Linux servers 'attacked more often'
    February 20th, 2004

    Linux advocates often take pride in the operating system being more secure
    than Windows but this claim may have attracted unwanted attention from the
    hacking community.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/server_security_article-8944.html

    * Information Security & Negligence
    February 20th, 2004

    Numerous recommendations since September 11, 2001 have been published on
    the evils of negligence relative to protecting one's assets (cyber &
    physical). In light of the articles, references, statutes, case laws and
    other relevant pieces of this puzzle, how do you physically "prove"
    negligence versus the common business practice of risk management?

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/general_article-8939.html

    * Leak An Experiment in Open Source?
    February 19th, 2004

    But for those who do, including plenty of people in peer-to-peer networks
    and in Internet Relay Chat (IRC) rooms worldwide, the 660 MB file
    containing the code is essentially open source material.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/forums_article-8933.html

    * CSO Magazine and CERT Security Capability Model
    February 19th, 2004

    The model is organized into four topic areas -- Risk
    Assessment/Management, Management and Policy, System and Network
    Management, and Physical Security. Questions within each practice topic
    area are listed in the recommended order for moving from least capable to
    more capable.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/general_article-8934.html