RE: [ISN] Outsourcing: Losing Control (Three messages)

From: InfoSec News (isn@private)
Date: Tue Mar 16 2004 - 23:35:29 PST

    Forwarded from: Jim Patton <jim.patton@private>

    IMHO - Making personal information of US citizens available outside of
    this country is wrong. It compromises our overall national security
    and makes it far easier for our individual identities to be stolen by
    a greater number of people.

    Ultimately, outsourcing only benefits an already overpaid minority of
    executives and a limited number of shareholders. It does nothing to
    enhance the security of American citizens.

    As long as US corporations put the bottom-line ahead of the interests
    of American Citizens and the USA, we will be at risk.

    The only way we may be able to ensure that the security of our
    personal information and identity is respected is to pass legislation
    that puts a halt to the current outsourcing practices and keeps all of
    this data where it belongs, in the USA!

    -=-

    Forwarded from: "Michael J. Reeves, AA, ASc" <NoSPAM.michaeljreeves@private>

    Gosh Gee Whiz...

    Couldn't they test the software on a TEST database containing
    bogus information, or did I miss something here???

    IMHO...

    mjr

    -=-

    Forwarded from: DC O'Dcriscoll & Associates <dcodriscoll@private>

    Two comments.

    1) Also check the law in the country where data is being outsourced
    to, and ensure that it is able to deal with breaches of security and
    attempts to abuse the information being sent to it.

    2) A lot of this 'panic' seems to be focusing on the fact that the
    outsourcing is going to other countries, as if this is a threat in
    itself (other than to jobs), but extortion of this type are able to
    happen in any country, and if IT execs are only recognising this now,
    then that begs questions.

    Donal

    --
    dcodriscoll@private
    Tel: +44 (0)1524 63935; Web: www.privacybasics.info

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org