[ISN] The Joke Known As Federal IT Security Oversight

From: InfoSec News (isn@private)
Date: Mon Mar 22 2004 - 00:24:32 PST

    Forwarded from: Richard Forno <rforno@private>

    The Joke Known As Federal IT Security Oversight
    Richard Forno
    www.infowarrior.org

    Copyright (c) 2004 by Author.  Permission granted to reproduce with credit.

    Source w/in-line URLs: http://www.infowarrior.org/articles/2004-07.html.

    Over the past several years, various Washington entities, from the
    General Accounting Office to assorted Congressional committees,
    conducted surveys and issued reports on the state of the federal
    government's information security posture.  In each case, with few
    exceptions, the findings range from the scathing to the downright
    embarrassing, and remain essentially unchanged since the mid-1990s.

    Like any other issue involving government oversight, this process has
    become an annual Washington tradition - the reports are released;
    there's back-and-forth blather in Congress about how we need "to do
    more" to secure our federal networks; agency leaders and CIOs are
    called to testify on the Hill; some more blather, and perhaps a piece
    of legislation is introduced and dies before reaching the floor; and
    then the issue recedes into digital memory until next year's survey
    results are released -- and the process begins anew, with little or
    nothing really changing.

    It's no different than our annual visit to the dentist. We know he's
    going to admonish us to brush more and cut out the sweets, and we know
    that we're going to be embarrassed or uncomfortable as he tells us
    this to our face and makes notes in our patient file, but we endure it
    year after year, because it's something we have to do for good oral
    hygiene.  Of course, we ignore his advice because it's inconvenient
    and, besides, candy is a tastier snack than celery.

    This seems to be the approach taken by the majority of the federal
    government when dealing with the security of federal information
    systems....

    < - snip - >

    http://www.infowarrior.org/articles/2004-07.html

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org