[ISN] Repost: NSPW 2004 Call For Papers

From: InfoSec News (isn@private)
Date: Fri Apr 02 2004 - 04:21:36 PST

    Forwarded from: Abe Singer <abe@private>

    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    ----------

    Reminder: Call for Papers, Deadline 4/10/2004
    New Security Paradigms Workshop 2004
    An ACSA-sponsored workshop
    http://www.nspw.org
    September 20-23, 2004 White Point Beach Resort, Nova Scotia, Canada
    (http://www.whitepoint.com/resortindex.htm)

    For twelve years the New Security Paradigms Workshop (NSPW) has provided
    a stimulating and highly interactive forum for innovative approaches to
    computer security. The workshop offers a constructive environment for
    experienced researchers and practitioners as well as newer participants
    in the field. The result is a unique opportunity to exchange ideas. NSPW
    2004 will take place September 20 - 23 at theWhite Point Beach Resort,
    located on the southern shore of beautiful Nova Scotia. The resort can
    be reached by air via Halifax or by ferry from Portland, Maine.

    In order to preserve the small, focused nature of the workshop,
    participation is limited to authors of accepted papers and conference
    organizers. NSPW is unique in format and highly interactive in
    nature. Each paper is typically the focus of 45 to 60 minutes of
    presentation and discussion. Authors are encouraged to present ideas that
    might be considered risky in some other forum, and all participants
    are charged with providing feedback in a constructive manner. The
    resulting intensive brainstorming has proven to be an excellent medium
    for furthering the development of these ideas. The proceedings, which
    are published after the workshop, have consistently benefited from the
    inclusion of workshop feedback.

    Because we expect new paradigms, we accept wide-ranging topics in
    information security. Papers that present a significant shift in
    thinking about difficult security issues or builds on a previous shift
    are welcomed. Our program committee particularly looks for new paradigms,
    innovative approaches to older problems, early thinking on new topics,
    and controversial issues that might not make it into other conferences
    but deserve to have their try at shaking and breaking the mold.

    We welcome three categories of submission: research papers, 5 - 10
    page position papers, and discussion topic proposals. Discussion topic
    proposals should include an in-depth description of the topic to be
    discussed, a convincing argument that the topic will lead to a lively
    discussion, and supporting materials. Submissions must be accompanied by
    a justification statement (why this is a new paradigm) and an attendance
    statement (how many authors expect to attend). All attendees are expected
    to stay for the entire duration of the workshop.

    Detailed submission information and instructions may be found at
    www.nspw.org.

    Important dates:

    Submission Deadline April 10, 2004
    Notification of acceptance: June 16, 2004

    We expect to offer a limited amount of financial aid to those who require
    it. More information will be provided on our web site www.nspw.org as
    it becomes available.

    Workshop General and Vice Chairs

    Carla Marceau
    ATC-NY
    33 Thornwood Dr. Suite 500
    Ithaca, NY 14850
    Email: carla@atc-nycorp.com
    Voice: +1 (607) 266-7110

    Simon Foley
    Department of Computer Science
    University College Cork
    Cork, Ireland
    Email: s.foley@private
    Voice: +353 21 490 2929

    Local Arrangements

    Carrie Gates
    Dalhousie University
    gates@private

    Financial Aid

    Hilary Hosmer
    Data Security Inc.
    hosmer@private

    John McHugh
    SEI/CERT
    jmchugh@private

    Publications

    Victor Raskin
    Purdue University
    vraskin@private

    Publicity

    Abe Singer
    San Diego Supercomputer Center
    University of California, San Diego

    Program Committee Co-Chairs

    R. Sekar
    Department of Computer Science
    Stony Brook University
    Stony Brook, NY 11794
    Email: sekar@private
    Voice: +1 (631) 632-5758

    John McHugh
    SEI/CERT
    4500 5th Avenue, Room 4204
    Pittsburgh, PA 15213-3890
    Email: jmchugh@private
    Voice:+1 (412) 268-7737

    Program Committee

    William Arbaugh
    University of Maryland
    blakley@private

    Bob Blakley
    IBM
    blakley@private

    Carrie Gates
    Dalhousie University
    gates@private

    Steve Greenwald
    Independent Consultant
    sjg6@private

    Carla Marceau
    ATC-NY
    carla@atc-nycorp.com

    Ken Olthoff
    NSA
    olthoff@private

    Vern Paxson
    International Computer Science Institute and Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
    vern@private

    Ahmad Sadeghi
    Ruhr University Bochum
    sadeghi@private