[ISN] Hackers: Under the hood

From: InfoSec News (isn@private)
Date: Tue Apr 20 2004 - 00:30:59 PDT

    http://www.zdnet.com.au/insight/security/0,39023764,39116620-1,00.htm

    By Patrick Gray and Fran Foo
    ZDNet Australia

    special report: Adrenalin pumping through their veins as lines of code
    are crunched to perfection. Well, that's what we're led to believe,
    anyway. Welcome to the world of hackers.

    ZDNet Australia  went on the hunt to track down some of the world's
    most prominent (and notorious) hackers. In this five-part series, we
    delve into the lives of five prominent hackers who reveal issues close
    to their heart.

    Raven Alder, the first woman to deliver a technical presentation at
    the famed DefCon hacker conference, talks about "gender wars" in the
    hacking realm.

    "One popular magazine's 'do you think girl hackers should date boy
    hackers?' left a bad taste in my mouth, too. Nobody asks the guys this
    stuff, and finding myself a 'boy hacker' is not really tops on my list
    of things to do this weekend," Alder says.

    Kevin Mitnick shares his experience behind bars and recalls the days
    when he was treated like "Osama bin-Mitnick".

    For Adrian Lamo, the so-called "homeless hacker", there was no turning
    back after discovering how to make both sides of a 5.25in floppy disk
    writable at the tender age of eight.

    Attrition.org co-founder Brian Martin aka Jericho, who dropped out of
    college during the second year at architecture school, shares his
    silliest hacks.

    Peiter Mudge Zatko, better known simply as Mudge, talks about the
    origins of L0pht Crack -- a password cracker for Windows based systems
    which he wrote to "prove a point and not for commercial purposes."

    Hackers are often perceived as shady characters but securing your
    perimeter is about anticipating and understanding all forms of threat
    -- the good, the bad and the ugly -- to your network. Whatever their
    motives, we hope you will gain some insights into the psyche of a
    hacker.