[ISN] Hack Your Way to Hollywood

From: InfoSec News (isn@private)
Date: Fri Apr 30 2004 - 00:31:29 PDT

    http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,63147,00.html

    [Stories like this frost me to no end, what does it show? lie,
    cheat, steal, scam or hack, and you will be rewarded for it in the end.
    What kind of message does this send out? There is a definate lack of
    ethics education in the schools and at home.   - WK]

    By Xeni Jardin
    Apr. 29, 2004

    LOS ANGELES -- An America Online customer service rep illicitly surfs
    the company's customer database, ferrets out private data on celebrity
    members and then hunts them down online under a false identity,
    seeking fame and fortune in Hollywood.

    Sound like a prelude to prison? Not in the case of Heather Robinson.
    The former AOL employee managed to parlay privacy violations into
    useful contacts in Hollywood. With the help of those contacts,
    Robinson, 25, landed a movie deal, and she's using her toehold in the
    industry to advance another.

    Later this week, Universal Pictures will start filming Robinson's
    first movie, The Perfect Man, a romantic comedy staring Hillary Duff
    and Heather Locklear. The film is about a teenage daughter who tries
    to create a "nonexistent boyfriend for her dejected mother," Robinson
    said. The story is based on another of her youthful indiscretions when
    she was 16 -- this one involving a stolen credit card and thousands of
    dollars of purchases.

    Some would say it takes Robinson's level of moxie to succeed in
    Hollywood. In fact, the favorite legend in the movie business is that
    of a hard-working kid who starts in the mail room and through
    ambition, flexible ethical standards and political skill becomes a
    mogul. Judging by her exploits so far, Robinson is well on her way.

    "Although she's, at best, a scam artist, you have to grudgingly admire
    this young woman," said Mark Ebner, co-author of Hollywood,
    Interrupted, a book in which Robinson's exploits get a chapter. "In a
    town of liars, cheats and thieves, it's small wonder she's been
    welcomed."

    Hired by AOL in 1997, her $6-an-hour job involved answering subscriber
    questions, resetting lost passwords and solving billing problems. With
    access to screen names, phone numbers, addresses and credit card
    numbers through AOL's customer database, she gathered information on
    politicians and movie industry power brokers to pursue her career
    dreams.

    During about a year and a half of employment at AOL, the woman, known
    by the AOL screen name "HooterR," contacted or struck up online
    relationships with Goldie Hawn, Carrie Fisher, Tom Hanks, Meg Ryan,
    producer Lauren Shuler Donner and the late comedian Chris Farley,
    according to Robinson and Ebner.

    "I asked my AOL supervisor, 'Are we allowed to contact people?' -- and
    the answer was yes, as long as I followed specific policies," Robinson
    said. "It's hard to get into the entertainment industry. If I weren't
    a good person they would have told me to go away."

    She baited celebrities into online conversations by using private
    information she had collected about them without their knowledge,
    sometimes assuming false identities -- for instance, that of a lonely
    female airline pilot.

    Some of these online encounters led to sexually explicit chat
    sessions. Robinson said she even had a real-world rendezvous with an
    influential Hollywood producer that resulted in a back-seat sexual
    assault. She claims to have evidence locked away in Arizona: a stained
    shirt, à la Lewinsky.

    AOL declined to discuss details of Robinson's employment, but
    spokesman Andrew Weinstein said activities described in Hollywood,
    Interrupted and a subsequent New York Observer interview would
    constitute a violation of current and former company policy.

    A document obtained by Wired News shows that Robinson was disciplined
    at least once at AOL for inappropriate use of customer data. A
    "Corrective Action Business Conduct" letter addressed to Robinson
    three months after she was hired placed her on a 90-day probation
    after a customer complained about repeated misuse of confidential
    account information.

    Weinstein said internal security is tighter seven years later. He
    declined to state whether the company will pursue legal action against
    Robinson, but said AOL's legal department is currently reviewing the
    matter.

    The one-time AOL employee may also have broken state privacy laws.

    "There could be a variety of legal complaints under state law, and the
    celebrities themselves could potentially bring tort claims under
    various state laws," said Pam Dixon of the World Privacy Forum. "She's
    essentially an electronic stalker. It's unfair, unethical and in some
    states, probably illegal."

    Those issues aside, Robinson is attempting to turn the online snooping
    into her second movie deal within a year. She's now shopping a new
    semi-autobiographical feature film called E-Girl. A press release
    promises the movie "will only depict the clever, amazing and
    heart-rending aspects" of her "cyber subterfuge with major
    personalities and power players."

    Robinson had a colorful past even before she started at AOL. The
    Perfect Man chronicles some of it. The movie is a sugarcoated
    retelling of an episode in Robinson's teen years that resulted in
    felony charges of fraud, theft and forgery, according to Tucson Police
    Department documents.

    In late 1994, Robinson teamed up with a high-school friend and
    concocted a scam to assume the identity of an imaginary Air Force
    colonel to romance Robinson's single mother, Janet Robinson.

    Heather obtained access to an Air Force base near her Tucson home and
    sent her mother photographs and love letters from a fictional Col.
    Cunningham, duping the recent divorcée into believing she was carrying
    on a virtual affair with an officer. Heather perpetrated the fake
    affair for three months. She went so far as to send her mom a marriage
    proposal consecrated with the delivery of a ring, which she bought
    with a stolen credit card and altered ID swiped from an employee at
    the Air Force base.

    The girls were arrested Feb. 10, 1995, and confessed to having used
    stolen credit cards to make more than $4,000 worth of attempted
    purchases. Because Robinson had no prior criminal record, charges were
    later reduced from felony to misdemeanor, resulting in a 120-hour
    community service sentence.

    "We were 16 years old, and I wanted to do something good for my mom,"
    Robinson said. "After the court stuff was done, my mom put her arm
    around me and said, 'I understand why you did it and maybe some day
    they'll make a movie about it.'"

    And they are. Perfect Man is slated for release in 2005.