[ISN] No WLAN? You still need wireless security

From: InfoSec News (isn@private)
Date: Mon May 17 2004 - 01:44:57 PDT

    http://techupdate.zdnet.com/techupdate/stories/main/need_wireless_security.html

    By David Berlind
    May 16, 2004

    It was nearly impossible to traverse a significant part of the show
    floor at this year's Networld+Interop without encountering solutions
    that dealt with the thorny issue of wireless security.

    Indeed, when it comes to the threat matrix associated with wireless
    security, there are many issues demanding attention: everything from
    keeping unauthorized wireless users off wireless local area networks
    (WLANs) to making sure that the traffic flowing through a WLAN is
    encrypted in a way that keeps the payloads safe from prying eyes.

    Although most wireless security solutions target organizations that
    have deployed wireless networks, there is a class of solutions that
    target all companies--even those that haven't deployed wireless
    networks. These solutions detect the existence of rogue access points.
    (An access point is a transceiver that connects devices on a wireless
    LAN to the wired infrastructure. A rogue access point is not
    authorized by an organization's IT department for operation.) Setting
    up an access point is child's play. In addition to plugging the access
    point into a power source, all one has to do is connect one end of an
    Ethernet cable to an available Ethernet port, connect the other end to
    an access point and voila! A new Wi-Fi WLAN is born.

    Not all rogue access points are malicious. Until my IT department
    found out about it and asked me to shut it down, I ran a rogue access
    point for almost two years (long before Wi-Fi was popular). So early
    was it in the history of Wi-Fi, that the software for setting up,
    managing, and securing my Lucent-based 802.11b WLAN was both
    proprietary and not very user friendly. Knowing that hardly anyone was
    using Wi-Fi at the time, I didn't bother securing it. Eventually, the
    company standardized on a single vendor's technology for deploying and
    securing WLANs and, knowing about my access point through the
    grapevine, the IT department saw my rogue WLAN for what it was: a back
    door that bypassed all of the hard work and planning that went into
    building a secure Wi-Fi network.

    Nick Miller, CEO of wireless management solution provider Cirond, put
    the problem in simple terms. "Companies spend thousands upon thousands
    of dollars and man-hours on network security," said Miller, "and all
    it takes is a $30 access point to render that investment useless."

    Why set up a rogue access point in the first place? I can imagine at
    least three scenarios that could result in rogue access points. The
    first of these is where people with wireless networks at home and at
    work are having difficulty with home-work interoperability. Though
    software is making it easier to move back and forth between the two,
    I've had this problem and I also know that the easiest solution is to
    have the same kind of access point in both locations.

    In the second scenario, people have a wireless network at home, but
    none at work. Once people catch wireless fever at home, they want it
    at work, too. If, for security or budgetary reasons, their company's
    IT department is unwilling to provide it, many overzealous workers are
    willing to install one for themselves.

    In the third scenario, someone outside the organization--usually
    someone with malicious intent--gains access to a physical Ethernet
    port on the company's network and surreptitiously connects an access
    point to it. Depending on where that port is (for example, underneath
    a desk in an unused cubicle), such "deployments" can easily escape
    physical detection.

    The last two scenarios are particularly noteworthy since they could
    introduce wireless security problems to companies that have, for
    whatever reasons, no deployments of wireless technology.

    [...]