On the Other hand: Re: [ISN] Auditors warn of foreign risks to weapons software

From: InfoSec News (isn@private)
Date: Fri May 28 2004 - 05:46:43 PDT

    Forwarded from: The Unknown Security Gal

    Dan O'Dowd Reminds World of UNIX Creator Ken Thompson's Security Stunt
    "We must not entrust national security to Linux," he declares.
    April 11, 2004, http://linuxworld.com/story/44468.htm

    Summary

    In a speech intended to serve us a wake-up call to anyone relying on
    the "many eyes" that look at the Linux source code to quickly find any
    subversions, the CEO of Green Hills Software last week reminded his
    audience how UNIX's creator Ken Thompson installed a back door in the
    binary code of UNIX that automatically added his user name and
    password to every UNIX system - a secret he revealed only 14 years
    later.

    By LinuxWorld News Desk
    lwmeditors@sys-con.com

    In a speech to the Net-Centric Operations Industry Forum in McLean,
    Va., Dan O'Dowd, CEO of Green Hills Software Inc., argued that the
    proliferation of Linux through a growing number of U.S. defense
    systems poses a serious and urgent security threat,

    "The very nature of the open source process should rule Linux out of
    defense applications," O'Dowd said.

    "The open source process violates every principle of security. It
    welcomes everyone to contribute to Linux. Now that foreign
    intelligence agencies and terrorists know that Linux is going to
    control our most advanced defense systems, they can use fake
    identities to contribute subversive software that will soon be
    incorporated into our most advanced defense systems," he continued.

    In addition, O'Dowd noted, developers in Russia and China are also
    contributing to Linux software. Recently, the CEO of MontaVista
    Software, the world's leading embedded Linux company, said that his
    company has "two and a half offshore development centers. A big one in
    Moscow and we just opened one in Beijing."

    Linux has been selected to control the functionality, security, and
    communications of critical defense systems including the Future Combat
    System, the Joint Tactical Radio System and the Global Information
    Grid, said O'Dowd.

    "If Linux is compromised, our defenses could be disabled, spied on, or
    commandeered. Every day new code is added to Linux in Russia, China
    and elsewhere throughout the world. Every day that code is
    incorporated into our command, control, communications and weapons
    systems. This must stop," he added, before continuing:

    "Linux in the defense environment is the classic Trojan horse scenario
    - a gift of 'free' software is being brought inside our critical
    defenses. If we proceed with plans to allow Linux to run these defense
    systems without demanding proof that it contains no subversive or
    dangerous code waiting to emerge after we bring it inside, then we
    invite the fate of Troy."

    One of O'Dowd's most telling points came when he debunked the claim by
    Linux advocates that its security can be assured by the openness of
    its source code, arguing that "many eyes" looking at the Linux source
    code will quickly find any subversions.

    Ken Thompson, the original developer of the Unix operating system
    (which heavily influenced Linux) proved that this just isn't true,
    O'Dowd argued. Thompson installed a back door in the binary code of
    UNIX that automatically added his user name and password to every UNIX
    system.

    O'Dowd told his audience that, when Thompson revealed the secret 14
    years later, he declared:

    "The moral is obvious. You can't trust code that you did not create
    yourself. No amount of source-level verification or scrutiny will
    protect you from using untrusted code."

    "Before most Linux developers were born, Ken Thompson had already
    proven that 'many eyes' looking at the source code can't prevent
    subversion," said O'Dowd. "Linux is being used in defense applications
    even though there are operating systems available today that are
    designed to meet the most stringent level of security evaluation in
    use by the National Security Agency, Common Criteria Evaluation
    Assurance Level 7 (EAL 7)."

    "We don't need cheaper security. We need better security. One 'back
    door' in Linux, one infiltration, one virus, one worm, one Trojan
    horse and all of our most sophisticated network-centric defenses could
    crumble. We must not abandon provably secure solutions for the
    illusion that Linux will save money. We must not entrust national
    security to Linux," O'Dowd concluded.

    About the author

    LinuxWorld News Desk gathers stories, analysis, and information from
    around the Linux world and synthesizes them into an easy to digest
    format for IT/IS managers and other business decision-makers.

    Related Sites

    · Biography of Ken Thompson <http://www.bell-labs.com/history/unix/thompsonbio.html>