[ISN] UCLA laptop theft exposes ID info

From: InfoSec News (isn@private)
Date: Fri Jun 11 2004 - 03:20:01 PDT

    http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105-5230662.html

    By David Becker
    CNET News.com
    June 10, 2004

    Representatives of the University of California, Los Angeles, are
    warning 145,000 blood donors they could be at risk for identity theft
    due to a stolen university laptop.

    UCLA's Blood and Platelet Center included the advisory in a letter
    sent last week to all who donated blood through the organization.

    Thieves broke into a locked van last November and grabbed a laptop
    with a database that includes names, birth dates and Social Security
    numbers for all blood donors, according to a university statement. The
    database did not include medical information other than blood type,
    according to the statement, and university officials did not recognize
    the significance of the loss and the potential for identity theft
    until the matter came up in a security audit last month.

    "We deeply regret any inconvenience this incident may cause our blood
    donors," Dr. Priscilla I. Figueroa, director of the university's
    Division of Transfusion Medicine, said in the statement. "We hope and
    trust that they will continue participating in our blood drives and
    making these lifesaving donations."

    The database was password-protected but not encrypted, according to
    the statement, which said the university was reviewing data security
    policies in light of the incident.

    Los Angeles police are investigating the theft, according to the
    university, and there is no evidence yet that information in the
    database has been retrieved or misused.

    University representatives said in a follow-up statement that a second
    laptop was stolen two weeks ago from the financial office of the
    University's health care division, putting personal information for an
    additional 62,000 patients at risk.

    Widespread use of laptops has presented an increasing risk for
    security theft, with lost or stolen devices potentially exposing data
    ranging from FBI secrets to tax records in recent years.