[ISN] Top Navy officials say security will not be compromised in new network

From: InfoSec News (isn@private)
Date: Thu Jun 24 2004 - 04:35:27 PDT

    http://www.govexec.com/dailyfed/0604/062304d1.htm

    By David McGlinchey
    dmcglinchey@private
    June 23, 2004

    One of the primary benefits of the Navy Marine Corps Intranet project
    is a dramatic improvement in network security, Navy officials said.
    That additional security, however, is also hampering the seamless
    development of the $8 billion network, according to Navy Secretary
    Gordon England, who spoke at the 2004 NMCI Industry Symposium in New
    Orleans.

    "A lack of security was probably the most deficient aspect of our
    legacy networks," England said. A system that does not contain
    classified information could be fielded without as many delays, but
    the Navy does not have that option. Many Navy personnel, he said, "do
    not like the compromises that we make for security, but security is
    paramount."

    During a speech to the symposium, England praised the NMCI effort and
    said it offers a variety of capabilities, including better tracking of
    IT expenses and more effective communications and management. The
    network, which is being developed by prime contractor EDS, is
    currently the largest intranet in the world with hundreds of thousands
    of Navy and Marine Corps personnel connected.

    NMCI has suffered from substantial delays since its inception in
    October 2000 and some military leaders at the New Orleans conference
    have criticized the network for poor connectivity and slow delivery.
    Other service officials say NMCI customer satisfaction overall is
    high, and some problems are to be expected with the development and
    fielding of a massive information technology system.

    Navy Rear Adm. Charles Munns, who is leading the NMCI effort, said
    military and industry officials should now focus on stepping up the
    development of the system. They must "maintain that security, but
    increase the speed," Munns said.

    England also directed a statement to Navy and Marine Corps personnel
    who are disgruntled with what they see as stringent security and slow
    rollout of the new network.

    "We're not going to change the system. Our users have to get used to
    this," he said. England appealed to service members to embrace NMCI.
    "People forget where we were before NMCI. We cannot go back to where
    we were five years ago."