Re: [ISN] E-Mail Snooping Ruled Permissible

From: InfoSec News (isn@private)
Date: Fri Jul 02 2004 - 05:34:39 PDT

    Forwarded from: Mark Hoffer <hoffer53@private>

    Hello:

    Coming from the ISP side of things, this is a great sigh of relief.
    Before this ruling, some could have interpreted the law in a way that
    the ISP could not scan for viruses or block spam.  I agree that email
    should not be snooped on, but every user should know that the privacy
    of an email is like that of a postcard.

    Now about this wiretap law - is it unlawful for me to use a packet
    sniffer to troubleshoot a customer's connection and to watch for
    malicious traffic on my network?

    -Mark Hoffer