[ISN] Richard Thieme's Islands in the Clickstream. THE BOOK.

From: InfoSec News (isn@private)
Date: Mon Jul 26 2004 - 03:26:58 PDT

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1931836221/c4iorg

This is a cut and paste of Richard Thieme's book annoucement for
Islands in the Clickstream, THE BOOK.

Longtime readers of InfoSec News know I am big fan of Richard's work,
can count him as a good friend, and someone who has the pulse of a
number of worlds. After the horific events of 9/11/01, the only thing
that made any sense of the day was Richard's prose.

http://seclists.org/isn/2001/Sep/0050.html

William Knowles
wk@private

-=-

Please forgive me if you were previously notified of my book through
my email list. This is being sent to colleagues in the security,
technical, and intelligence worlds and is the last "official
announcement."

A book collecting some of my work from the past eight years has just
been published. Andrew Briney, editor-in-chief of Information
Security, says in the forward - "This book is about power and
knowledge, insight and inspiration, culture and experience, physics
and metaphysics. Like space and time, there are multiple dimensions to
this book. I'll wager you've never read anything quite like it."

He may be right...

My work as a speaker and consultant continues. Speaking is focused on
the human dilemmas resulting from technology, terror, and other
challenges of our public and private lives. I address the personal,
spiritual, and social implications of technology and suggest ways to
respond effectively to technology-driven change. I particularly enjoy
facilitating retreats, enabling people to have an opportunity get
off-site and to think things through. As Stephanie Fohn, formerly CEO
of Security Focus, said:  "In many ways you never left the ministry,
at least from the standpoint of providing guidance in matters of
spirituality and quality of life - you just changed your flock to the
security community."

. RT

Multiple essays per chapter are arranged by topics:

Chapter 1: This is the Way the Internet Works
Chapter 2: Computer-Mediated Living: The Digital Filter
Chapter 3: Doing Business Digitally
Chapter 4: Hacking and the Passion for Knowledge
Chapter 5: Digital Spirituality
Chapter 6: Mostly True Predictions
Chapter 7: The Psychology of Digital Life: Identity and Destiny
Chapter 8: Political Implications
Chapter 9: The Dark Side of the Moon and Beyond
Chapter 10: Technology Gets Personal

Here are some of the early accolades for Richard Thieme's Islands in
the Clickstream: Reflections on Life in a Virtual World:

Richard Thieme takes us to the edge of cliffs we know are there but
rarely visit ... he wonderfully weaves life, mystery, and passion
through digital and natural worlds with creativity and imagination.
This is delightful and deeply thought provoking reading full of "aha!"
insights.  - Clinton C. Brooks, Former Senior Advisor for Homeland
Security and Assistant Deputy Director, NSA

These warm but penetrating essays use insights from hacker culture,
science fiction movies, religion, military doctrine, psychology,
Midwestern family life, literature and history to illuminate
unorthodox but deeply profound ways of understanding ourselves and
everything around us.  - Jennifer Stisa Granick, Esq., Executive
Director, Center for Internet & Society, Cyberlaw Clinic, Stanford Law
School

Where Thomas Aquinas and Aristotle left off, Richard Thieme picks up,
exploring crucial questions about the nature of existence in the
technology age and offering cogent commentary about truth and meaning
that is as relevant to hackers as it is to CEOs. Thieme is truly an
oracle for the Matrix generation. - Kim Zetter, Wired News

Thieme's Islands in the Clickstream is deeply reflective,
enlightening, and refreshing.  --Peter Neumann, Stanford Research
Institute

Richard Thieme speaks to the heart. His words more than inspire, they
teach us how to think. The reader is left reeling, dizzy with insight.
- Robin Roberts, former head of Information Security R&D, CIA

Richard Thieme sees deeply into the nature of networks and has the
uncanny ability to describe what he sees with extraordinary clarity. -
Howard A.  Schmidt, former Cyber Security Advisor to the White House
and former CSO, Microsoft Corp.

Thieme's ability to be open minded, conspiratorial, ethical, and
subversive all at the same time is very inspiring.  - Jeff Moss, CEO,
Black Hat, Inc.

I believe that you are a practitioner of wu wei, the effort to choose
the elegant appropriate contribution to each and every issue that you
address.  - Hal McConnell (former intelligence analyst, NSA)

At its best, the Internet connects us to kindred souls, those who are
destined to transform our lives in truly wondrous ways. My friend,
Richard Thieme, first came to me over the Net and his words and
actions have inspired me to see myself and the world around me in a
different light. This collection of his writings represents a glimpse
into the inner workings of a most extraordinary mind. - Becky Bace,
former executive, National Security Agency

Richard Thieme sees deeply into the nature of the human spirit and
expresses with great clarity what he observes. - Joel Garreau,
cultural revolution correspondent, The Washington Post

Richard Thieme is an extraordinary person in every sense. Only someone
who has lived different lives and could cope with what those had in
stock for him, who sees with soft eyes while reflecting everything
around him can express the meta layer of today's world and technology
as the one thing it is.  - FX

WOW!!! you eloquently express thoughts and ideas that I feel. You have
helped me, not so much tear down barriers to communication, as to
leverage these barriers into another structure with elevators and
escalators.  --Chip Meadows, CISSP, CCSE, USAA e-Security Team

"Richard Thieme navigates the complex world of people and computers
with amazing ease and grace. His clarity of thinking is refreshing,
and his insights are profound."--Bruce Schneier, CEO, Counterpane

Richard Thieme presents us with a rare gift. His words touch our heart
while challenging our most cherished constructs. He is both a poet and
pragmatist navigating a new world with clarity, curiosity and
boundless amazement.  -- Kelly Hansen, CEO, Neohapsis

Richard Thieme teaches experts to see with 'beginners' eyes' and
hackers to think like philosophers. More than a great thinker, Thieme
is an original soul. When you read Richard Thieme, you believe in the
Matrix." -- Sol Tzvi, Senior Security and Privacy Architect,
Trustworthy Computing, Microsoft Israel

BOOK DETAILS
ISBN: 1-931836-22-1
PRICE: $29.95 U.S.