Re: [ISN] Security researcher to be jailed for finding bugs in software?

From: InfoSec News (isn@private)
Date: Wed Jan 12 2005 - 07:38:11 PST

Forwarded from: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rslade@private>
Cc: computerforensicsworld@private, Seclegal@private

Date sent:      	Tue, 11 Jan 2005 00:44:38 -0600 (CST)
From:           	InfoSec News <isn@private>

> http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/security/0,2000061744,39176657,00.htm
>
> A French security researcher who published exploit codes that could
> take advantage of bugs in an anti-virus application, could be
> imprisoned for violation of copyright laws.

I warned ya.

OK, well not quite the same situation, but on page 21 of "Software
Forensics" I noted that this type of situation might one day result in
a malware author challenging evidence obtained by forensic examination
on the basis of the laws supposedly supporting copyright by enveighing
against reverse engineering.

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade@private      slade@private      rslade@private
If you surveyed a hundred typical middle-aged Americans, I bet
you'd find that only two of them could tell you their blood
types, but every last one of  them would know the theme song from
the Beverly Hillbillies.                                - Dave Barry
http://victoria.tc.ca/techrev    or    http://sun.soci.niu.edu/~rslade

Open Source Vulnerability Database (OSVDB) Everything is Vulnerable - http://www.osvdb.org/