[ISN] NSPW 2005 Call For Papers

From: InfoSec News (isn@private)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2005 - 05:39:31 PST

Forwarded from: Abe Singer <abe@private>

Call for Papers

New Security Paradigms Workshop

Lake Arrowhead, California, USA
September 20-23, 2005
http://www.nspw.org

Background

NSPW is a unique workshop that is devoted to the critical examination
of new paradigms in security.  We solicit and accept papers on any
topic in information security subject to the following caveats:

*  Papers that present a significant shift in thinking about difficult
   security issues are welcome.

*  Papers that build on a previous shift are also welcome.

*  Contrarian papers that dispute or call into question accepted practice
   or policy in security are also welcome.

*  We solicit papers that are not technology centric, including those
   that deal with public policy issues and those that deal with the
   psychology and sociology of security theory and practice.

*  We discourage papers that represent established or completed works as
   well as those that substantially overlap other submitted or published
   papers.

*  We encourage a high level of scholarship on the part of contributors.
   Authors are expected to be aware of related prior work in their topic
   area, even if it predates Google.  In the course of preparing an NSPW
   paper, it is far better to read an original source than to cite a
   text book interpretation of it.

Our program committee particularly looks for new paradigms, innovative
approaches to older problems, early thinking on new topics, and
controversial issues that might not make it into other conferences but
deserve to have their try at shaking and breaking the mold.

Participation in the workshop is limited to authors of accepted papers
and conference organizers. Each paper is typically the focus of 45 to
60 minutes of presentation and discussion. Prospective authors are
encouraged to submit ideas that might be considered risky in some
other forum, and all participants are charged with providing feedback
in a constructive manner. The resulting intensive brainstorming has
proven to be an excellent medium for furthering the development of
these ideas. The proceedings, which are published after the workshop,
have consistently benefited from the inclusion of workshop feedback.

Call for Papers

We welcome three categories of submission:

*  Research papers should be of a length commensurate with the
   novelty of the paradigm and the amount of novel material that the
   reviewer must assimilate in order to evaluate it.

*  Position papers should be 5 - 10 pages in length and should espouse
   a well reasoned and carefully documented position on a security
   related topic that merits challenge and / or discussion.

*  Discussion topic proposals. Discussion topic proposals should
   include an in-depth description of the topic to be discussed, a
   convincing argument that the topic will lead to a lively
   discussion, and supporting materials that can aid in the evaluation
   of the proposal.  The later may include the credentials of the
   proposed discussants.  Discussion topic proposers may want to
   consider involving conference organizers or previous attendees in
   their proposals.

Important Dates

*   Submission deadline:  Monday, 28 March 2005.
*   Notification of acceptance: Monday, 30 May, 2005.

Submission

Submissions must include the following:

*  The submission in PDF format, viewable by Adobe Acrobat reader.

*  A justification for inclusion in NSPW. Specify the category of your
   submission and describe, in one page or less, why your submission
   is appropriate for the New Security Paradigms Workshop. A good
   justification will describe the new paradigm being proposed, explain
   how it departs from existing theory or practice, and identify those
   aspects of the status quo it challenges or rejects.  The justification
   is a major factor in determining acceptance.

*  An Attendance Statement specifying  how many authors wish to attend
   the workshop.   Accepted papers require the attendance  of at least
   one author.  Attendance is limited, and we cannot  guarantee space
   for more than one author.

No submission may have been published elsewhere nor may a similar
submission be under consideration for publication or presentation in
any other forum during the NSPW review process.

In order to ensure that all papers receive equally strong feedback,
all attendees are expected to stay for the entire duration of the
workshop. We expect to offer a limited amount of financial aid to
those who require it. See http://www.nspw.org for details of the
workshop policies and for submission procedures.

Further Information

Simon Foley, General Chair
University College Cork
s.foley@private