[ISN] Largest hacker group in China dissolves

From: InfoSec News (isn@private)
Date: Thu Feb 24 2005 - 09:35:20 PST

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2005-02/22/content_2603191.htm

www.chinaview.cn
2005-02-22

BEIJING, Feb. 22 -- Honkers Union of China (HUC), the earliest and
largest hacker group in China and ranking number five in the world,
has announced its dissolution and has shut down its website at the
same time.

Membership FEE of this group was once as high as 80,000. It has
drawn both praises and blames as it participated in confronting
foreign hackers on numerous occasions.

According to Shenzhen's media, HUC's founder Lion claimed in his
open letter, "Honkers Union has existed in name only for a long time,
and its website has been closed down several times before. However, I
am reluctant to let go of things that accompanied me while I grew up.
That is why HUC has lasted so long."

In December of 2000, webmaster Lion took the initiative to set up
HUC. It was a non-governmental organization with a wide variety of
members, including businessmen, students, teachers and professionals
in network safety.

Bellua Cyber Security Asia 2005 -
http://www.bellua.com/bcs2005