[ISN] MIT says it won't admit hackers

From: InfoSec News (isn@private)
Date: Wed Mar 09 2005 - 04:03:06 PST

http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2005/03/09/mit_says_it_wont_admit_hackers/

By Robert Weisman
Globe Staff
March 9, 2005

The dean of MIT's Sloan School of Management yesterday said Sloan will
join Harvard Business School in rejecting applications from
prospective students who hacked into a website last week to learn
whether they had been admitted before they were formally notified.

Stanford's Graduate School of Business, meanwhile, asked its own
applicant-hackers to come forward and explain their actions, in a sign
that the California school soon may take tougher action as well.

Thirty-two applicants apparently sought an early peek at the
confidential data in their admission files at Sloan, while 41 files
were targeted at Stanford and 119 at Harvard. Harvard on Monday became
the second victimized business school to say outright it would not
admit proven hackers. The first was Carnegie Mellon's Tepper School of
Business, where one admission file was violated.

Those schools, along with Dartmouth's Tuck School of Business and
Duke's Fuqua School of Business, all use an independent website run by
ApplyYourself Inc. of Fairfax, Va., to receive applications and, in
some cases, manage communications with applicants.

After midnight last Wednesday, hundreds of business school admission
files were targeted by computers around the globe when a hacker posted
detailed instructions on a BusinessWeek Online forum. Most of the
hackers saw only blank screens, though some who accessed admission
files at Harvard viewed preliminary decision information.

''Students who hacked the ApplyYourself website will be denied
admission to Sloan," the school's dean, Richard L. Schmalensee, said
in an interview yesterday after a team from Sloan met with
representatives of ApplyYourself to learn what happened. Sloan used
the website only to receive applications, using a separate in-house
server to handle the admissions process, he said.

Schmalensee said he made his decision to reject the 32 applicants
after seeing the directions posted by the hacker. ''The instructions
are reasonably elaborate," he said. ''You didn't need a degree in
computer science, but this clearly involved effort. You couldn't do
this casually without knowing you were doing something wrong. We've
always taken ethics seriously, and this is a serious matter."

At the same time, Schmalensee said Sloan would allow rejected
applicants to reapply in later years, though he said the hacking
incident would continue to be a factor in the school's decision.

''We'll look at applicants next year," he said, ''but we'd want to see
evidence that this was an aberration, that they have grown."

Schmalensee said Sloan would consider appeals this year only if there
were clear-cut extenuating circumstances; one example he cited was an
applicant serving in Afghanistan turning over his ApplyYourself
password to an irresponsible brother-in-law.

As to why MIT's Sloan School waited nearly a week to take action,
Schmalensee said school officials needed to confer with ApplyYourself
representatives and understand the situation better. ''The fact that
we took so long doesn't mean we don't take ethics seriously," he
maintained. ''It means we take due process seriously as well."

In Palo Alto, Calif., Stanford issued a statment from Derrick Bolton,
assistant dean and director of MBA admissions, demanding explanations
from the applicants whose files were targeted.

''Business schools teach students to make decisions and to be
accountable for those decisions," Bolton said. ''We hope that the
applicants who accessed their accounts might contact us to explain
their behavior and to take ownership for their actions. We will take
appropriate steps in the cases that warrant further scrutiny."

ApplyYourself's software enables schools to know which files have been
accessed but can't definitively identify the hacker. However, both
Schmalensee and Kim B. Clark, the Harvard business dean, noted that
applicants bear ultimate responsibility for their passwords even if
they turned them over to third parties who did the hacking.

Paul Danos, dean of Dartmouth's Tuck School, released a statement
saying school officials continue to investigate and will meet on
Friday to discuss their options. And at Duke's Fuqua School, where one
file was hacked, associate dean James A. Gray said the applicant would
be notified of a decision on March 18, the regular decision date for
the school's current round of applicants.

''It would not be smart of him to be buying a Duke sweatshirt and
renting an apartment in Durham," Gray said. ''It's not likely that he
will need either."

Robert Weisman can be reached at weisman @ globe.com.

Bellua Cyber Security Asia 2005 -
http://www.bellua.com/bcs2005