[ISN] Dutch hackers sentenced for attack on government sites

From: InfoSec News (isn@private)
Date: Fri Mar 18 2005 - 23:16:14 PST

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/03/16/dutch_hackers_sentenced/

By Jan Libbenga
16th March 2005

Five computer hackers in the Netherlands have been handed sentences
ranging from work orders to youth detention for disabling a number of
websites operated by the Dutch government.

A group of around 15 hackers, who called themselves '0x1fe Crew',
carried out a Distributed Denial of Service (DdoS) attack last year on
the government websites overheid.nl and regering.nl in a protest
against recent cabinet proposals. The group claimed cabinet members
were its sole targets. The websites, the central gateway to all
information on cabinet policy in the Netherlands, couldn't be reached
for five days.

The Dutch government immediately launched legal proceedings against
the group and this week five hackers were convicted. The main suspect,
who was given a 38-day detention sentence, says he will appeal. The
18-year-old claims there is no technical proof of his participation in
the attacks. .They sentenced me because I was the spokesman for the
group,. he told news site Webwereld.

It is first time in the Netherlands that anyone has been convicted for
such an attack.

Bellua Cyber Security Asia 2005 -
http://www.bellua.com/bcs2005