Re: [ISN] Stolen UC Berkeley Laptop Exposes Personal Data of Nearly 100,000

From: InfoSec News (isn@private)
Date: Tue Mar 29 2005 - 22:36:35 PST

Forwarded from: Mark Bernard <Mark.Bernard@private>

Dear Associates,

I'm sorry but Universities and Colleges aren't very good gages on the
growth of identity theft. The incident is more likely to be a measure
of stupidity.

These institutions are high risk for attacks because they need to be
open to share information, so I wouldn't even consider it a good
measure of some student hacker's skills. I hope that whoever
perpetrated this crime doesn't think that s/he's accomplished
something.

What I would like to see is students take more responsibility and
control over their private information. I know the thought that the
words 'student' and 'responsibility' are in the same sentence doesn't
make sense to some of us. I also think that student bodies need to
step up to the plate here and show some leadership by helping their
constituency protect themselves.

Best regards,
Mark.

Mark E. S. Bernard, CISM, CISSP, PM,
Principal, Risk Management Services,

e-mail: Mark.Bernard@private
Web: http://www.TechSecure.ca
Phone: (506) 325-0444

Leadership Quotes by John Quincy Adams: "If your actions inspire others to
dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader."