[ISN] Linux Security Week - May 23rd 2005

From: InfoSec News (isn@private)
Date: Wed May 25 2005 - 00:39:14 PDT

|  LinuxSecurity.com                         Weekly Newsletter        |
|  May 23rd, 2005                             Volume 6, Number 22n    |
|  Editorial Team:  Dave Wreski             dave@private    |
|                   Benjamin D. Thomas      ben@private     |

Thank you for reading the LinuxSecurity.com weekly security newsletter.
The purpose of this document is to provide our readers with a quick
summary of each week's most relevant Linux security headlines.

This week, perhaps the most interesting articles include "Security
and the Linux process," "Security's shortcoming: Too many machines,
not enough training," and "Towards proactive security."

---

## Internet Productivity Suite: Open Source Security ##
Trust Internet Productivity Suite's open source architecture to
give you the best security and productivity applications available.
Collaborating with thousands of developers, Guardian Digital
security engineers implement the most technologically advanced
ideas and methods into their design.

Click to find out more!
http://store.guardiandigital.com/html/eng/products/software/ips_overview.shtml

---

LINUX ADVISORY WATCH

This week, advisories were released for kde, phpsysinfo, fonts-xorg,
gaim, phpBB, mozilla suite, PostgreSQL, FreeRADIUS, ncpfs, kdelibs,
cyrus-imapd, rsh, glibc, ia32el, and the Red Hat kernel. The
distributors include Conectiva, Debian, Fedora, Gentoo, and Red Hat.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/119156/150/

---

Review: The Book of Postfix: State-of-the-Art Message Transport

I was very impressed with "The Book of Postfix" by authors Ralf Hildebrandt
and Pattrick Koetter and feel that it is an incredible Postfix reference.
It gives a great overall view of the operation and management of Postfix
in an extremely systematic and practical format. It flows in a logical
manner, is easy to follow and the authors did a great job of explaining
topics with attention paid to real world applications and how to avoid
many of the associated pitfalls. I am happy to have this reference in
my collection.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/119027/49/

---

Introduction: Buffer Overflow Vulnerabilities

Buffer overflows are a leading type of security vulnerability. This
paper explains what a buffer overflow is, how it can be exploited,
and what countermeasures can be taken to prevent the use of buffer
overflow vulnerabilities.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/118881/49/

---

Getting to Know Linux Security: File Permissions

Welcome to the first tutorial in the 'Getting to Know Linux Security'
series.  The topic explored is Linux file permissions.  It offers an
easy to follow explanation of how to read permissions, and how to set
them using chmod.  This guide is intended for users new to Linux
security, therefore very simple.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/118181/49/

--------

>> The Perfect Productivity Tools <<

WebMail, Groupware and LDAP Integration provide organizations with
the ability to securely access corporate email from any computer,
collaborate with co-workers and set-up comprehensive addressbooks to
consistently keep employees organized and connected.

http://ads.linuxsecurity.com/cgi-bin/newad_redirect.pl?id=gdn05

-->  Take advantage of the LinuxSecurity.com Quick Reference Card!
-->  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/docs/QuickRefCard.pdf

+---------------------+
| Security News:      | <<-----[ Articles This Week ]----------
+---------------------+

* SSH hole putting big business at risk
  17th, May, 2005

Secure business networks are at risk thanks to a vulnerability in a
fundamental protocol, according to security researchers at the
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). Researchers have
highlighted the increasing danger of attacks exploiting weaknesses in
SSH (Secure Shell), and warned that such attacks are likely to be
automated in the near future.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/119125

* KDE users have to patch twice
  20th, May, 2005

Linux and Unix users of KDE who lovingly patched their systems last
month to avoid a major security glitch will have to go through the
whole process again, it has transpired.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/119157

* Computer Crime Forensics Get A Boost
  19th, May, 2005

Chatsworth CA-based Intelligent Computer Solutions introduces a new
portable high-speed hard drive duplicator. Called the Image MASSter
Solo 3 Forensic, the device can duplicate hard drives as speeds of
up to 3GB per minute.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/119148

* Security query over Intel hyperthreading
  17th, May, 2005

Intel's hyperthreading technology could allow a hacker to steal
security keys from a compromised server using a sophisticated timing
attack, a researcher has warned.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/119124

* Security and the Linux process
  19th, May, 2005

In his latest entry, Dana asks whether the Linux process is insecure,
because it.s not possible to warn the "vendor" before warning the
general public about security flaws in Linux. He also notes that
"Microsoft has theoretical control of this situation."

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/119149

* Microsoft to buy Red Hat? Say it ain.t so
  16th, May, 2005

In Paris, Ontario, there.s a large plaza sign advertising both The
Paris Sleep Laboratory and the Canadian Post Office. The synergy
there, of course, should be obvious .at least from the point of view
of the humorist. Recent revivals of the idea that Microsoft might
want to take over Red Hat have a similar quality to
them.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/119121

* IBM bundle service seeks to protect smaller businesses
  16th, May, 2005

IBM is looking to make it easier for smaller businesses to protect
themselves against spam and viruses that make their way onto the
network through e-mail.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/119122

* Security needs bring redundant systems back in style
  17th, May, 2005

Whether you're considering a multifunction appliance, a broad suite
of software or a combination of both to secure your Windows
infrastructure, security consultants say there is one key principal
to keep in mind: Don't rely on a single vendor for everything.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/119127

* Security.s weakest links
  17th, May, 2005

Not a month has gone by in 2005 without a far-reaching computer
security breach making the nightly news hour. Headliners compelled to
walk the plank of shame include Bank of America . the nation.s
second-largest bank . Ameritrade, Polo Ralph Lauren, and LexisNexis.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/119128

* Before You Fire the Company Geek...
  17th, May, 2005

If you notice a fellow employee suddenly freaking out or acting
really suspicious, he may be having personal problems -- or he may be
in the process of hacking the company. So says a
new study on "insider threats"</a> released Monday by the U.S. Secret
Service and the Carnegie Mellon Software Engineering Institute's
CERT.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/119133

* The Propaganda War
  18th, May, 2005

Linux has gradually become the standard OS on the server and is
probably destined to become the desktop standard too. It might seem
premature to say this, because the statistics from IDC and other
market analysts indicate that Linux hasn't overtaken Windows on the
server yet and it does not even have a significant share of the
desktop market. Nevertheless, the contest is almost over. The tide is
running in Linux's favour. It will take its time to come in, but it
will not be stopped.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/119136

* UK IT bosses confused about governance
  18th, May, 2005

IT heads in the UK are convinced that better IT governance will
impress senior management, but few of them have the money to invest
in better systems. Research from the Economist Intelligence Unit,
commissioned by Mercury Interactive, showed that chief information
officers around the world think that better IT governance will
restore management's faith in IT, with 70 per cent of UK CIOs stating
that better IT governance would lead to more accurate financial
reporting.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/119137

* Security's shortcoming: Too many machines, not enough training
  18th, May, 2005

Companies can spend all they want on antivirus, intrusion prevention
systems and all-in-one appliances. These tools will do nothing for
enterprises that ignore the human side of security, said Tara Manzow,
product manager for the workforce development group at the Computing
Technology Industry Association [CompTIA].

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/119138

* Criminal IT: Why insecurity is implicit in computing
  18th, May, 2005

Some statements are undoubtedly true; I am an adult male. Others
undoubtedly false; I can breathe underwater. And some of them need
more information; I live in a house with a green-tiled bathroom. You
can visit my house, you can ask my family; it is decidable, provided
that you can get some more information.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/119139

* Towards proactive security
  18th, May, 2005

To businesses, security is still not equal to paying your electric
bill. It is a nuisance, a distraction, a resource drain, and it is
expensive. However, when that worm hits, when that hacker attacks,
then blame is quick to be assigned. What most organisations do not
yet understand is that improving security is not all about buying the
latest and greatest products. It is about changing the corporate
culture to make security a realistic priority, and to understand that
the upfront investment in security resources and processes will be
far less costly than the reactionary efforts after an attack.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/119147

* Keeping kids from succumbing to 'the dark side'
  19th, May, 2005

Edward Ajaeb got his first taste of steganography in sixth grade,
when he set up a Web site for his teacher's husband to showcase his
master's thesis on the subject. By then the Utica, N.Y., youth had
designed Web sites for a couple of years, a side business he'd
developed in the fourth grade.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/119150

* Know your Enemy: Phishing
  19th, May, 2005

This KYE white paper aims to provide practical information on the
practice of phishing and draws on data collected by the German
Honeynet Project and UK Honeynet Project. This paper focuses on real
world incidents that the Honeynet Project has observed in the wild,
but does not cover all possible phishing methods or techniques.
Attackers are constantly innovating and advancing, and there are
likely to be new phishing techniques already under development or in
use today.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/119154

* Hack attack danger soars in 2005
  20th, May, 2005

Security experts have warned of a substantial rise in the number and
complexity of hacking attacks during the first half of 2005.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/119163

* VeriSign to put more backbone into the Net
  20th, May, 2005

VeriSign plans to significantly increase the number of DNS servers it
operates, a move that it says will make a key part of the Internet's
infrastructure more resilient to cyberattacks.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/119162